Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my recently acquired 05 LLY CCSB 2WD truck, I want to make it as efficient as possible. It's just a thing I have with every vehicle I drive. I do not need more power. What would the mpg change be from installing LBZ mouth piece and a 4" Cat back exhaust system? Would a Turbo back system be significantly better? I can currently get 20 mpg with 80% hwy @ 65 mph and 20% city driving like I had an egg under my foot.

I know it doesn't make any sense to spend several hundred $$$$ for just a few MPG, but we all have to have a goal. :)

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
Get a super hot EFI tune around 150hp from Kory Willis and baby it and ill bet you get 26-28 with a mouthpiece and full exhaust.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
528 Posts
Change all fluids to synthetic, install low rolling resistance tires, use hyper-miling driving techniques, install small exterior mirrors, free flowing exhaust, mileage tune, and removal all unnecessary weight. That should maximize your fuel economy.

·
Registered
965 Posts
I agree with getting a full exhaust unless you have strict emissions control. The biggest restrictions are the cat and stock muffler

Perhaps even mod the airbox

Biggest thing is gonna be make sure all your maintenance is up to date

·
Registered
152 Posts
I'm thinking a good EFI tune will do you the most good. Idaho Rob and Kory Willis are probably the most respected around here. The exhaust and mouth piece can't hurt either.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Others have said to get an EFI tune as well. How can tuning for a hp gain help efficiency? I agree that opening up the intake and exhaust allows the engine to pump air more easily and with added fuel could develop more hp, but I don't understand how the potential of more hp there helps efficiency.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Downpipe? Haha its funny you bring this up, I was driving down the highway today and was catching up to this Ranger pretty quick and I was doing just over the limit and when I was passing him he had made a poster and put it in his back window saying "Driving Slower for Fuel Efficiency"

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
I have the 5 to 6 speed conversion kit, pricey, but does help with the mileage on my 2 wheel drive. Drive like Grandpa, cause I am-!

·
Registered
63 Posts
^ did you have your trans built before you installed the 5 to 6 speed conversion kit? I ask becasue I dont see it in your sig, and when I was looking at doing the same kit suncoast told me not to do it with out a built trans.

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
Others have said to get an EFI tune as well. How can tuning for a hp gain help efficiency? I agree that opening up the intake and exhaust allows the engine to pump air more easily and with added fuel could develop more hp, but I don't understand how the potential of more hp there helps efficiency.
It's hard to explain but basically it allows to get the truck up to speed and maintain speed with less effort. You will see the most significant gain from EFI. Other supporting mods like intake and exhaust & downpipe just help EFI along.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
I believe the mpg benefit comes from the timing added to the tunes. Stomp the throttle and the fuel will follow

1 - 11 of 11 Posts