Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Been there "done that"
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All

I have EFI for some time now. Just recently i hooked up 8k tow load. The 3rd setting on my DSP 5 is tow tune with turbo braking.
I didnt experiance any different feel over the trucks tow mode. Going down hills or stopping.
How should turbo braking feel?.. would i notice it was working or not??

Thanks
Keith

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
i have my tow tunes from nick.
you have to be in t/h mode and over 1800rpms with no throttle.
you will feel and hear it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
My tunes are from Nick and it works great!!

·
Premium Member
9,706 Posts
You want high rpms for the turbo brake to work the best. Most tuners have it disabled under 1500-1800 or so. Keep the rpms over 2000 and it should slow you down pretty good and you should hear the turbo spinning up as you're slowing down.

Sent from my Droid using the AutoGuide app while not driving...

·
Been there "done that"
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok.. i did have it in tow-haul--but i dont think i was 2k or over rpms...i will have to wait for the next load. Can it just be tested in tow haul..bring the rpms over 2k and feel something?

Thanks

·
Registered
505 Posts
yes you should feel and hear it also without a load put it in T/H mode get about 55mph and then just let off the pedal you should hear the turbo and the allison gear down together...

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Rob doesnt have the turbo brake activated below about 2200 rpm. If you desire to change it, there are only 3 tables on the lbz that need to be changed. I have mine running all way down to 1400 rpm, then ramping off at 1200 rpm. Its pretty easy, not harmful either.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Anyone know what tables to change for the lmm? I also would like mine to kick in around 1600 rpm

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
If you put it in manual mode and downshift you should be able to feel it a little more.

·
Hang it!...Fire!
4,244 Posts
its like when you let of the gas pedal on the freeway and you can feel the truck "drag" while the turbo is still in boost

·
Premium Member
26,485 Posts
Rob doesnt have the turbo brake activated below about 2200 rpm.
I disagree. My use shows just the opposite, it doesn't kick in hard until 2200Rs and rides that down to 1600Rs before the next downshift.

·
Premium Member
9,706 Posts
Different tuners can tune it differently. Mine is really strong anywhere above 2000rpm. Gets stronger with more rpms. At 3000rpms it'll make 10-12psi of boost. But under 2000rpms it slowly dies down and at 1700 it shuts off and goes back to normal.

Sent from my Droid using the AutoGuide app while not driving...

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
I couldn't feel mine until I hit a steep downgrade. Had my truck in T/H and Manual, touched the break, turbo braking kicked in all the way down the grade because I was over 2000RPMS. Its unreal how well it works. If you really want to see the difference, do what I did, then switch the DSP switch off the tune and back on the tune. You will see.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts