Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm interested in getting EFI live for 2 main reasons. #1. Because when my warranty is up I want to do a DPF delete and hopefully get a few extra MPG's. #2. I need a scanner so I can stop having to go to the dealer to get codes read. I just paid $50 to find out I need a new wheel speed sensor, could have put that towards EFI Live or a scanner.

I've seen posts and checked out the website about using EFI as a scanner and have a few questions.

Ok, I hope I read things right but it says I can use the V2 to scan other vehicles as long as they are supported. My wife and I only drive GM vehicles and I want a scanner that would work on any car/SUV she might have as well as my truck. Will the V2 work on all GM vehicles?

If I get EFI live or another type of scanner, where can I find an actual list of fault codes and what they mean or do you have to buy a book that shows what the codes mean?

:help

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok, found an actual list of vehicles that can be scanned with the V2. Still wondering about where to look up codes.

·
Administrator
8,818 Posts
we have a list on here...all you have to do is do a search on the internet for OBDII codes.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok thats easy enough. Now I notcied that on the EFI website that if you want to ad a OBD stream for tuning its like $2900? Can I just use the V2 to scan without having to upgrade or anything for a different vehicle? Is the Flashscan V2 what I'm need or is there a different product that would work out better?

·
Administrator
8,818 Posts
that is for something totally different. It will read codes just the way you buy it.

·
I'm That Guy...
16,690 Posts
Stream license is for tuning purposes.

Without using a license you can use the scan tool function and check and clear codes. You can not only check for lights, but data log supported vehicles.

As for tuning, you get two licenses and could use it to tune two vehicles. For a gas engine, you could eventually burn a license for a tune if the vehicle is supported as well.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, thats what I'm lookiing for. Looks like I'm going shopping!Thanks.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Will the v2 only scan generic codes or all codes. I want to purchase a scanner that is not expensive but will pull all codes.

·
I'm That Guy...
16,690 Posts
Will the v2 only scan generic codes or all codes. I want to purchase a scanner that is not expensive but will pull all codes.
It will pull all codes on GMs including transmission codes which a lot of scanners won't.

·
Registered
379 Posts
i threw a p0700 code for the second time in 3 months and went into limp mode. The problem is both times it has happened is late night on weekends so no dealership is open to hook up the tec11 scanner and the local orielly only scans generic codes. I dont want to have a problem one night when I am a long ways away from a parts store where I can clear the code and atleast make it home but the same time I need to figure out what the problem is.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thats why I'm looking at getting one. It's $50 a pop to get a scan at the local dealer. I figure I can justify the cost of the V2 just for that reason alone.

·
Registered
379 Posts
where are you looking to get one and what does it cost. Is the v2 the the only scanner that supports efi. I am new to efi, all I really know about it is I bought an ecm that was pretuned. I want the scanner that reads codes but you can also put tunes on the truck once I built it up.

·
Do work!
2,234 Posts
where are you looking to get one and what does it cost. Is the v2 the the only scanner that supports efi. I am new to efi, all I really know about it is I bought an ecm that was pretuned. I want the scanner that reads codes but you can also put tunes on the truck once I built it up.
The v2 and the autocal handhelds both are the only thing that will tune your truck and read and clear codes. Some us the Edge insight on the lb7-lly to swith tuning on the fly, however edge does not support efi switch ability on the Lbz,Lmm,Lml trucks and probably never will.

The v2 you can get from any tuner you buy yours tunes from and you are able to switch tuners at anytime and they can email them to you, and you use the v2 to load them onto the truck. The v2 comes with two licenses when you buy them new and you can tune one truck per license. You can buy more at anytime.

The autocal is locked to the tuner you bought it and the tuning from, and can not be used with any other tuners tunes. I would buy the v2 way before I would buy the autocal personally.

Get a hold of a tuner of your choice and they can get you prices on a tuning/v2/dsp5 package. It is cheaper to buy them all at the same time usually.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think the V2 is the only way to put tunes with EFI Live on but don't know for sure. Check out Meyer performance, they have the best deal I've found. You can get a V2 with 5 tunes and DSP5 switch for what most guys charge for just a V2. If you go on the vendor forum you can do a price request since lots of vendors sell them here. That will show you what its gonna cost.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
^beat me too it.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I purchased an ecm (dsp5) about a year ago from duramaxtuner (nick) If I buy a v2 do you know if his tunes will be supported. I guess I am not looking to put new tunes on the truck untill I put in a built trans which will not happen untill the stock one has gone out (expensive) so for now I want a scanner that later I can use to put tunes on the truck. So from what you said the v2 sounds like the way to go.

·
I'm That Guy...
16,690 Posts
EFI - Electronic Fuel Injection
EFI Live - A company that makes a product for EFI Vehicles.

V2 - a Tool that allows diagnostic testing, tuning and flashing
AutoCal - a Tool that allows diagnostic testing and flashing. (this is the cheaper alternative and the right option for someone who has no intentions of writing their own tunes or changing them.

I would contact ...

Idaho Rob at ATPTrucks.com
Bobo at COTN
Nick at Duramax Tuner

Any of the three sell good tunes, sounds like you may already have tunes from Nick?

·
Registered
379 Posts
So after more searching v2 comes with 2 license. They say you can tune 2 ecm and 2 tcm. How many diff tunes can you put on them. I know that you can only load 5 on the truck at a time but if you had a stock tune 2 tow tunes an economy tune and a max power tune could you take one off and put on a diff tune or do you have to pay $100 to take a tune off and get a new one put on.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Out of curiosity what does a tuned ECM cost?

·
Registered
379 Posts
ok you beat me to the post. If you wanted to change tunes though you would have to buy the v2 which any tune writer you choose can send you their tune to put on. If you dont want to change any tunes then the autocal is the way to go. If you did purchase the autocal and wanted to get a diff tune how would you go about that. Say if you built the truck to handle more power

1 - 20 of 25 Posts