Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So at some point I am going to drop the cash and have a question. Is it as simple as plugging the V2 into the OBD port? I guess a bit more complicated with a DSP5 switch. Or is buying a tuned ECM better? Kinda like the tool for scanning/clearing codes. I also do not have the cash for a trans, will a 90HP tune be safe on a stocker? Getting kinda sick of the edge........

·
Slave to the Interwebs
9,953 Posts
EFI Is a little more complicated than just plugging in the hand held. You can use just the hand held to pull codes and do some real time data monitoring. To load a tune you just have to have it plugged into your laptop as well. You will be safe on a 90hp tune with your truck. You have a six speed so you could install a transgo jr and kick the horses up to 120ish pretty easily.

·
Premium Member
9,706 Posts
It's not quite as simple as plugging it in and it's magically tuned. There's a few steps to flashing in a tune, but it's nothing difficult by any means. Especially when you have someone on the phone with you to talk you through it. The DSP 5 switch is a little more difficult, but there's a pretty good set of install instructions within the EFI Live program. And I would recommend the whole program over a pretuned ECM because the added capabilities it gives you are just amazing!

-Jesse

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, looks like I will get everything than. How long to install, a day?

·
Premium Member
9,706 Posts
Oh lord no. Maybe a couple of hours max from the time you put the cd into your laptop until you're tuned and driving. Less if you're pretty computer savy.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
So at some point I am going to drop the cash and have a question. Is it as simple as plugging the V2 into the OBD port? I guess a bit more complicated with a DSP5 switch. Or is buying a tuned ECM better? Kinda like the tool for scanning/clearing codes. I also do not have the cash for a trans, will a 90HP tune be safe on a stocker? Getting kinda sick of the edge........
Or like you mentioned you can buy a tuned ECM. that would be the cheaper and easier route. If you not planning to do your own tuning I would say you will be better off with the tuned ECM, as the V2 will just become an expensive paperweight. once you have flashed your truck. If you want to do your own tuning its a lot of work to learn but a lot of fun:D

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh lord no. Maybe a couple of hours max from the time you put the cd into your laptop until you're tuned and driving. Less if you're pretty computer savy.
Oh, so it's just a matter of flashing/loading the tunes? Seems manageble to me.

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Or like you mentioned you can buy a tuned ECM. that would be the cheaper and easier route. If you not planning to do your own tuning I would say you will be better off with the tuned ECM, as the V2 will just become an expensive paperweight. once you have flashed your truck. If you want to do your own tuning its a lot of work to learn but a lot of fun:D
Yea, I will have to think about the two options. Probably will go with the V2 and DSP5 as of now.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Sounds good to me and if you are wondering what it is all about, you can download a demo version of the software from EFILives website for free

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sounds good to me and if you are wondering what it is all about, you can download a demo version of the software from EFILives website for free
Sweet!, Thanks again

1 - 12 of 12 Posts