Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok I am looking at going efi live route and I'm trying to figure out a few things

1. Should I pickup an autocal and have someone load tunes on it or should I take my truck to someone and have them load the tunes for me? I don't have guages but I do have a bluetooth adaptor that I monitor a bunch of sensors and what not.

2. should I get a only 2 tunes or 5? I want the truck to last me a long time I do have 155K all stock lmm. I do tow with it maybe 1-2 times a month if I am lucky and can go camping with fam. I'm looking for longevity of the engine and transmission. Truck has plenty of pep as it is but definatley want turbo break and dpf del. Some have said get 5 so I can use the higher HP program just keep my foot off the accelerator and I won't damage anything and will get best fuel economy.

·
Vendor
1,766 Posts
Get 5 autocal from kory

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
The possible problem I see is if you do go with 5 tunes what's the chance that you won't drive like you stollen it, most people will if it's available.
It's a man thing.
And if you don't have any big hp tunes available, then you won't have that possibility of making a mistake and going for it.
From what your saying your wants for long life I would suggest going maybe 2 low hp tunes.
Mild tune and maybe a low hp towtune.
I have Optimized Stock, 40hp towtune, 60 hp towtune all 3 with turbo brake, and NO DSP switch. Loading one at a time.

·
Registered
16,268 Posts
I have an autocal with 5 tunes, yet I only really use 1 tune. I just keep it on the optimized stock tune.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The possible problem I see is if you do go with 5 tunes what's the chance that you won't drive like you stollen it, most people will if it's available.
It's a man thing.
And if you don't have any big hp tunes available, then you won't have that possibility of making a mistake and going for it.
From what your saying your wants for long life I would suggest going maybe 2 low hp tunes.
Mild tune and maybe a low hp towtune.
I have Optimized Stock, 40hp towtune, 60 hp towtune all 3 with turbo brake, and NO DSP switch. Loading one at a time.

if you don't mind me asking how do you do that?
Again I'm stll in the teach me stage trying to learn and make a wise choice and not spend a ton of money that I don't have yet. Yet is the magic word.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
if you don't mind me asking how do you do that?
Again I'm stll in the teach me stage trying to learn and make a wise choice and not spend a ton of money that I don't have yet. Yet is the magic word.
I'm not sure what you mean, "How do I do what"
Load one tune at a time,
Tell the tuner your considering that you do NOT want 5 tunes and you DON'T want the DSP switch.
If they only offer the 5 tunes with DSP and won't offer single tunes then go another EFI tuner that will.
I know of one that would charge more for one or two tunes compared to the 5 tunes with DSP, just to make the point that they are running the show. Heyyaa
That same one when I was considering EFI, refused to answer any of my questions until I paid for the tunes in advance, again Heyyaa

·
Goin broke in style.
656 Posts
Well if you want longevity then dont get 5 tunes. Quoting myself about a month before my tunes. "Ill probably never run the race tune, i just want a little more power." Since i got my tunes my truck hasn't come off tune 5 and i now need to build my trans as it is about to give up on me lol. Obviously its completely my fault and now i cant wait for max effort lol. Thanks to Rob at ATP!!

·
Registered
10,692 Posts
Just get a dsp5 and use some control. If you have a heavy right foot put it on the small tune and leave it there. I have an autocal because dsp5's don't exist for my truck. I have a heavy right foot and live on back roads, constantly passing slow people. I leave my autocal at my house so I don't have the option of loading the big tune. I have a fund setup for built trans and a credit card with a huge limit if it blows and I'm not ready. Do something along the same lines. Just be smart, if your ready to build it then lean on her hard. If not pick a small tune and be happy with a reliable, great sounding, stout running truck.:thumb

Reactions: tclouse1

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
EFILive is a AutoCal or V2 you just either go with single tunes or 5 with a 5DSP switch.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.