Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
261 - 280 of 318 Posts

·
Registered
7,363 Posts
Yes, if your EFI Duramax tuner also does gassers, if your Autocal is locked to one specific EFI tuner, which it usually is.
Possibly if someone has a V2 they might be able to do that for you.
Otherwise you'll need 2 AutoCals, one diesel, one gasser.

Reactions: Brad750

·
Registered
97 Posts
Yes, if your EFI Duramax tuner also does gassers, if your Autocal is locked to one specific EFI tuner, which it usually is.
Possibly if someone has a V2 they might be able to do that for you.
Otherwise you'll need 2 AutoCals, one diesel, one gasser.
Thank you. I wasn't quite sure how this worked. I was under the impression it was PC software with an OBD2 to USB cable and you just bought licensing for each vehicle you wanted to tune. I wasn't sure if the diesel was the same as the gas.
Based on what your saying, I'm understanding this to be more of a handheld device that would be designed specifically for one vehicle. Is that correct?

·
Registered
7,363 Posts
Yes, but you can have multiple vehicles on one AutoCal hand held device, providing the one EFI tuner does gas and diesel.
I'm not familiar with the V2 stuff but I think you can buy tunes only from different tuners and load them on a V2.
Or buy a AutoCal out right and find someone with a V2 to load the tunes on it.

I just went the multiple AutoCal route for different EFI tuners.
I have 2 AutoCals (different tuners) for my Dmax and one AutoCal for my Yukon Denali gasser.

Reactions: Brad750

·
Registered
38 Posts
That would be my question, well close to it.

I have an AutoCal for my 6.2L gasser. If I traded it in I plan on putting it back to stock tunes & keeping the AutoCal.
So I should be able to purchase a new VIN license once I step into a Duramax and get tune files from a vendor to load on the same AutoCal for the Duramax, correct?

·
Registered
7,363 Posts
YES, saves the cost for a AutoCal.
That AutoCal has to be unlocked from the tuner you now have, then the new tuner will lock it to his tunes.
The AC can hold up to 8 vin license.

Vin license about $125
Cost of tunes varies, I found Ridge Runner Diesel to be the most reasonable price for tunes going this route.

Reactions: Vegasj

·
Registered
5 Posts
Great thread, so much info and knowledge shared

·
Registered
5 Posts
I got a question about EFI live tuning, and I guess it can also apply to canned tuners as well. Probably a very dumb question but here goes. So I am looking to buy a Duramax, and if I buy one that has EFI live. And say I put a new stereo system in it or have work done to it. Where the battery / batteries get disconnected in the truck. Will that knock the tune out of the truck? So say when everything is hooked back up once the stereo system is installed and complete. Will the EFI live tune/s need to be reinstalled and programed? Or once everything is hooked back up and the batteries are plugged back in. Will the truck run and be programmed with the tunes just like it was?

·
Registered
10,690 Posts
I got a question about EFI live tuning, and I guess it can also apply to canned tuners as well. Probably a very dumb question but here goes. So I am looking to buy a Duramax, and if I buy one that has EFI live. And say I put a new stereo system in it or have work done to it. Where the battery / batteries get disconnected in the truck. Will that knock the tune out of the truck? So say when everything is hooked back up once the stereo system is installed and complete. Will the EFI live tune/s need to be reinstalled and programed? Or once everything is hooked back up and the batteries are plugged back in. Will the truck run and be programmed with the tunes just like it was?
No the tune will stay there

·
Registered
7,363 Posts
Tune will not be lost actually nothing will be lost when you disconnect the batteries.
Possibly your radio stations and the DIC miles driven.
Mine was disconnected last Friday for about 3 hours, nothing was lost.

Except for the clocks time on my Nav, it was blank and wouldn’t set.
After searching on the net I found the simple fix that took about 2-3 minutes to re-program the clock on the radio.
Something the online GM experts either don’t know or won’t tell you, they’ll just tell you replace the radio.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Awesome, good to know. Thank you both for your responses

·
Registered
12 Posts
Any LB7 owners wanna weigh in on who you got EFI Live from and how you like them drivability wise? I installed SAC 45% over injectors roughly two weeks ago and need to pull the trigger on some tunes as my truck is quite confused with all of the extra fuel. Truck has an S&B intake, turbo horn, boost increase valve, straight piped etc..... Truck is my daily so don't need anything crazy....yet!! Plan on doing a drop in and building the transmission once spring rolls around.

Thanks for any info shared. Not looking to start a battle of who is better either just first hand accounts.

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
Any LB7 owners wanna weigh in on who you got EFI Live from and how you like them drivability wise? I installed SAC 45% over injectors roughly two weeks ago and need to pull the trigger on some tunes as my truck is quite confused with all of the extra fuel. Truck has an S&B intake, turbo horn, boost increase valve, straight piped etc..... Truck is my daily so don't need anything crazy....yet!! Plan on doing a drop in and building the transmission once spring rolls around.

Thanks for any info shared. Not looking to start a battle of who is better either just first hand accounts.
I dont have an LB7, but i did for about 10 years before upgrading to my LML. The LB7 was not EFI live tuned, but i have driven the LML before and after tuning and it is not even remotely the same truck. You will not be disappointed in your EFI live experience so long as you buy good tunes and dont do anything dumb like run 200HP over on a stock tranny.

Transmission "Safe" Tuning is not as safe as it would sound. Just because you defuel before a shift doesent mean your transmission will be happy passing 550 HP through it long term. Its more like "transmission probably wont fall out of the truck tomorrow" tuning. 50HP over stock is a safe place on the older transmissions, beyond that and it should be rebuilt. I would get a 5 position tune, and keep it in the lower setting until you get a chance to swap in that new transmission. The tune will also help a lot with the smoking your likely getting from the larger untuned injectors.

·
Registered
12 Posts
J83,

Thanks for weighing in. I planned on just running like an optimized stock tune for the most part. With no tuning at times I'm already fighting for traction and a set of trac-bars is also on my to do list. Surprising thing is it barely belches and smoke even at WOT. Fuel economy s definitely down though haha. I've narrowed it down to PPEI, Duramax Tuners and Moonshine which i had not even heard about until recently.

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
J83,

Thanks for weighing in. I planned on just running like an optimized stock tune for the most part. With no tuning at times I'm already fighting for traction and a set of trac-bars is also on my to do list. Surprising thing is it barely belches and smoke even at WOT. Fuel economy s definitely down though haha. I've narrowed it down to PPEI, Duramax Tuners and Moonshine which i had not even heard about until recently.

I have not heard too much about moonshine, DT is hit or miss on who you ask, PPEI is probably the most widely recommended, though i had a terrible time trying to get any information from them via email when i was looking to tune my truck, simple questions that anyone in the industry should have been able to answer... like what parts fit my truck kind of questions, so i wrote them off and went with MotorOps instead.

The boost valve might be helping with the smoke by giving you a little more air at the top end, but your more likely to see smoke when the turbo spooling up then at WOT. As the turbo is spooling up, its output is low so your running rich until the turbo catches up and you get the correct air fuel mixture to run clean.

Not to be confuses with the diesel condition known as stupidity where people intentionally blow black smoke everywhere because its "fun".

·
Registered
7,363 Posts
I don't think you'll get who thinks who's best, it'll be more in the line of who will do tunes for you.
Especially if you have any emissions stuff deleted, not counting the cat.
I don't know about the 2003 with emissions stuff.

You also have MotorOps in Canada.

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
I don't think you'll get who thinks who's best, it'll be more in the line of who will do tunes for you.
Especially if you have any emissions stuff deleted, not counting the cat.
I don't know about the 2003 with emissions stuff.

You also have MotorOps in Canada.
That raises an interesting question. If you had a federal 01 LB7 it would have 0 emissions on it including PCV already vented to the atmosphere. A tune for this truck would both be an emissions intact tune, since it would preserve the emissions the truck came with, and a delete tune, since it would run not emissions. Wonder if anyone is willing to roll the dice with the EPA on that. Id personally assume that it would be legal since the truck would still comply with the emissions standards it was built with, but curious if anyone in the US would touch it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My truck is not a Cali federal truck so it has no egr and didn’t come with a Catalytic converter.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I hope someone will. I honestly almost bought an LBZ but for the mileage/price and paying to delete or take all of that stuff off I just passed on it and settled on what I got. I had read that once you got past the injectors they were pretty good and Albeit labor intensive I did the injectors by myself in my driveway in a weekend. Only working in daylight hours that’s why it took two days. I negotiated the price on my truck with the assumption I would be changing the injectors shortly.

·
Premium Member
26,484 Posts
Stick with who brung ya. Brent has the tunes for the 45s.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I did not know that. Thanks

261 - 280 of 318 Posts