Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
281 - 300 of 318 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
A little lost

Ok guys so I’m new to the diesel world. I bought my 04 lly in august last year. It came with what I believe is the dsp5 or something of the sort but the dealership couldn’t tell me anything about the tunes. Since then I’ve had the egr deleted. Now I know the number 2 tune is a lope tune just from how it runs with it on 2 but is there anyway to actually know what tunes I have without going to someone? Not sure if the egr delete effected anything as well since the tuner was on there before the delete. Please correct if I need to ask on a different page.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,363 Posts
I know this is not what you want to hear, the only people that would know what tunes you have is the actual tuner and owner of the truck when they bought the tunes.
You should be able to check for codes with the EGR deleted.
From what’s been said it’s possible to set a soft code without a check engine light, I’m not sure what year.
You can go thru the numbers 1-5 to see if you notice changes switching, but that’s about all you can do.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ok so correct me if I’m wrong, A tuner should/would be able to retune the truck as long as I pay for said tunes and/ or efi live unless it’s a canned tuner?

·
Premium Member
26,484 Posts
Correct. If you have the device (autocal, V2) to do so.

Generally accepted principle is, quality tuners didn't/wouldn't do lope tunes.
If you've got a lope on 2, it's probably all crap, IMO.

Reactions: 1TRIKHD and Bruce22

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ok guys my mechanic says he can do a 1 time tune. Should I do that or just wait and have all the tunes redone. He should be able to just flash over one of the existing codes correct?

·
Registered
7,363 Posts
Do you really feel you need 5 tunes, if so go that route.
I’m only a one tune guy 40hp towtune with turbo brake.
As far as having the 5 position switch, that’s out of my league, but you might have to disconnect the switch wires from the ECM, if your going the one tune route so it doesn’t affect anything.

Getting one tune for free vs paying for a vin license $125 and 5 tunes along with a AutoCal probably $1000 to $1200 + guessing.
Me, I’d go the free way to start out.
You could always go the 5 tune route later on, already having the 5dsp switch, if you want.

Reactions: Bruce22

·
Premium Member
26,484 Posts
Should I do that or just wait and have all the tunes redone.
Same here, just a single for the Turbo Brake wake up.
Heck, having him flash the stock tuning back is better than running who knows what crap tunes like it is.

You will need to disable that 5 switch.

·
Administrator
16,952 Posts
Ok guys my mechanic says he can do a 1 time tune. Should I do that or just wait and have all the tunes redone. He should be able to just flash over one of the existing codes correct?
"my mechanic" doesn't lead me to think he's an experienced tuner. A bad tune can destroy a truck, buy from a reputable tuner and I recommend getting 5 tunes.

Anti Theft was one of my favorites, smaller tune for fuel, tow tune with tow break, race tune for fun, etc....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Still new here but, I bought an 08 duramax LMM, my truck does have a 4-5 setting round switch under the steering wheel dash. The dealership I bought the truck from is NOOO help on the subject, I was wondering how to figure out if it IS EFI Live, or what. The switch deff goes from stock power on lowest setting, and a huge diff at the higher setting. But there is nothing for me to see, watch, or clear DTC'S from dash. ANY HELP would be much appreciated. Just would like to know what was previously installed from previous owner

·
Premium Member
26,484 Posts
Just would like to know what was previously installed from previous owner
No way of knowing what tunes they are, or who the tuner was.
Risky venture.

There is no set universal guides to the switch positions....Like, you could have one position for Valet setting, or anti-theft, or one could be a crap lope setting....not just powa increases per notch.

·
Registered
7,363 Posts
Edge Insight CS2 or CTS2 to monitor a bunch of stuff, plus scan and clear codes.
As far as knowing the tunes and position of the tunes, like hook mentioned 'dunno;

With the insight you might be able to get a little of a idea, monitoring MIT (Main Injector Timing) but to know the actual numbers, only the original owner and tuner will know.
Usually the lowest MIT would be close to stock or mild hp up the highest MIT should be the highest hp tune, in between back to the 'dunno;

Also max boost #’s on each setting will give you a idea.
The higher boost achieved would be the largest hp tune, this is controlled with your lead foot

·
Registered
216 Posts
Find previous owner; maybe his name is on title I found my previous owner had put his name in the original owners manual in glove box. He would probably love to hear where his old truck ended up and should have no reason at this point to bs you I’d ask what issues hed most worry about etc. Be careful running tunes you don’t know, could have a crazy race tune that damages your trans especially if the tuner wasn’t real good so many things can go wrong. Go back to stock setting and then invest in tuning if you choose. Hey guys can he reset to factory with battery disconnect or something simple? Or is it a trip to dealer to reflash?

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
Find previous owner; maybe his name is on title I found my previous owner had put his name in the original owners manual in glove box. He would probably love to hear where his old truck ended up and should have no reason at this point to bs you I’d ask what issues hed most worry about etc. Be careful running tunes you don’t know, could have a crazy race tune that damages your trans especially if the tuner wasn’t real good so many things can go wrong. Go back to stock setting and then invest in tuning if you choose. Hey guys can he reset to factory with battery disconnect or something simple? Or is it a trip to dealer to reflash?

You can not flash back to stock by disconnecting the battery cables. You'll have to go to the person who tuned the vehicle or the dealer to reflash back to stock. But, youll have to make sure all the old parts are back on it or the truck will go into limp mode. (Which really sucks)

·
Administrator
16,952 Posts
You can not flash back to stock by disconnecting the battery cables. You'll have to go to the person who tuned the vehicle or the dealer to reflash back to stock. But, youll have to make sure all the old parts are back on it or the truck will go into limp mode. (Which really sucks)
Correct.

I wouldn't just go flash back to stock until you figure out what it modified.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Old thread but this seems to be place to get info I seek. I have a 2003 lb7 that WAS a Cali truck (did not realize that when I bought it) everything emissions related is gone And I have 4” mbrp down pipe back exhaust. There is also a DSP 5 dial but it doesn’t seem to do anything. My question is: With all the new regulations am I going to have a problem when I give tuner the vin number and he makes tune? Will Vin mean he HAS to tune for all emissions equipment being intact ? Cuz it’s not there! Also how do I tell if there even are tunes in truck? I’ve owned truck for about a year now, love her but I definitely want some mo powa. Can tuner just put his own base tune in along with a couple other say tow and power tunes and basically start over?

·
Registered
2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD
4 Posts
Hey everyone, I'm new and just got my first Duramax. The truck has quite a few mods (HSP intake system, SDP intercooler piping and y bridge, Upgraded turbo (66mm), 3" MBRP down pipe and 4" exhaust, Full EGR delete). It also came with the Edge Evolution monitor/tuner. I use my truck as a "weekend warrior mobile" and a "workhorse (hauling and towing)". My question is does anybody know of anyone doing custom tuning in the Boise, ID area? I am having a hard time finding someone, either EFI Live or HP Tuner (don't think there's much of a difference). With the mods that are already on it, I'd like to get the truck dialed in with a custom tune for what I use it for. The Edge is OK, but I know a custom tune would be WAY better, especially to delete the codes that do not pertain to me (Intake Air Heater, EGR). Anyway, I'd really appreciate the help.

·
Super Moderator
980 Posts
You missed the boat when it comes to custom tuning. The best tuner was IdahoRob at ATP in Meridian. Unfortunately the EPA forced him to retire 3 years ago.

·
Super Moderator
980 Posts
Best option is to stop in at local diesel shops and ask face-to-face, not on an open forum...
😉

281 - 300 of 318 Posts