Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I work with a guy that just bought an 2011 and he wants EFI live but since they can't program the LML question is could a ECM from a LMM be reprogramed then tuned with EFI live? I have no idea myself maybe you guys do

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
34 Posts
Is there no other company other than EFI LIVE that can tune a ECM? I find it hard to believe that no one else is a competitor of EFI LIVE. Could someone explain this to me?

·
Its just a worktruck
13,908 Posts
Its not EFILive's decision. Its General Motors. They didnt make the TES code available. Every other vehicle that EFILive supports is done with the consent of GM. The ECM is locked and cannot be read through the OBD-II port. The few companies that are tuning the LML are doing it illegally by hacking the ECM or merely writing parameters to intercept the stock tuning and modify it. EFILive could do this, but they don't want to violate any laws.
Read through this. Its also explained in the EFILive.com forum.
http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/efi-live/76427-lml-efi-live-not-happening-details-inside-3.html

And no, an LMM ECM wont work in an LML as far as I know.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I understand the legal issue, but is there no one else who custom tunes ECM'S? You have competition with every thing else. Canned tunes you have Bully Dog, H and S, Smarty, Banks, Edge etc. This and the body style change are what are making we wait on buying a new truck. Sorry to highjack just curious.

·
Its just a worktruck
13,908 Posts
Yes, there is HPTuners. But how could you custom tune something that you cant read?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I don't really know all that much about EFI Live but am just looking at it in a simple way. People hack into computers every day; is this any different? Seems hard to believe someone can't get into the ECM.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I think it is extremely wishy-washy. I find it hard to believe that it would be "illegal" to hack ones own ECM. Are you telling me, that if I bought a LML and wanted to mess with the ECM it would be illegal?

I look at it as: "I bought the ECM, and I can hack it, or run over it..."

I am sure they are saying it is illegal...I am just saying that some legal experts should take a closer look at it.

·
Registered
877 Posts
hptuners is there only real competition but not alot of people use it on diesels

im not gunna even get started on this whole efilive discussion with LML all im gunna end up doing is trolling:poke[1]:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts