Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I was talkin to one of my buddies the other day just bs'n and we got on the subject of efi. Turns out he knows the owner of a local diesel shop that's pretty well known around here.. I see trucks with the logos of the company everytime I go to town. I got my buddy to talk to him the other day and he said he can put efi on my truck ( 5 tunes and install the dsp5 switch ) for 500$ if I put one of there stickers on my truck. ( the sticker looks badass so idc)lol but I'm wondering is that a fair price? If so what tunes should I get ? my tranny is stock. And I don't tow often maybe once a month.. Any input is appreciated

·
Registered
381 Posts
go for it man. you wont regret it.

·
I'm That Guy...
16,694 Posts
I disagree with everybody here, who is the tuner? I've seen a LOT of bad tunes and saving some money isn't worth spending $3-15k later on trans or engine from a bad tune.

That said, you can go to Rob at ATPTrucks.com and spend less with their loaner v2 program and I'm pretty sure Meyer Performance / Duramax Tuner can beat that price with a pre-tuned ECM.

I'd go to someone with a good reputation for diesel trucks. Not saying all local tuners are bad, but I've seen some pretty bad tunes and wouldn't buy without having some good insight on the tunes. I'll also add that most users may not realize a bad tune from a good tune if they have no comparison, are happy with the power, and/or don't have gauges to monitor things like EGT or drive pressure.

Also the "if you run my sticker" deal is amusing to me, because I doubt he's giving you much of a discount if any off his regular pricing.

Another good question is where are you located?

·
This space for rent!
316 Posts
I have been debating the same sort of things. Running a sticker is shit to me as I remove even the dealer stickers when I have ever bought a vehicle. My theory is that that didn't give me sh*t since I get gm, and ford employee discount why advertise them- nonetheless I am in the same boat trying to figure out the best "Tuner" for the cost. It seems that the pricing changes as to hard you rub elbows w/a certain person. I still beleive that doing the EFI Live is the best bang for the buck- you still have to do your home work and see where you can/will get the best support after the fact.

·
Slave to the Interwebs
9,953 Posts
I think 500 is a little stout. I am all about having a local guy to tune but there are things to look out for. You may end up getting some ghetto rigged quad tune instead of a good quality custom tune for your needs. I would go down and talk to them in person and see how you feel. Ask him how many trucks he has tuned and how they are running. Then possibly talk to some of his customers.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
DTS diesel technology source look them up. Seem legit to me. But you all have good points. From everybody I've talked to this dude is the best around me.. And he is 5 mins up the road..

·
I'm That Guy...
16,694 Posts
DTS diesel technology source look them up. Seem legit to me. But you all have good points. From everybody I've talked to this dude is the best around me.. And he is 5 mins up the road..
This is going to sound weird, but ask Dustin aka: sickdiesel about DTS tuning. I think he's friends with the owner.

He works for Rob at ATPTrucks.com, but will give you an honest opinion. If he gives you the go ahead, I'd give his tunes a try.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yea that's what I was about to say I think his tunes are robs tunes..but I wasn't sure

·
I'm That Guy...
16,694 Posts
Yea that's what I was about to say I think his tunes are robs tunes..but I wasn't sure
He may be a distributor for Rob's tunes, I'm not sure. Either way I would ask Dustin for advice.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just sent him a message. If he says hes good I'm goin for it. Supposed to go to his shop to talk to him one morning this week and get the efi in a few weeks because I want to get gauges first . What type of tunes should I get .. I really don't want to fry my tranny. I don't tow very often..

·
I'm That Guy...
16,694 Posts
I just sent him a message. If he says hes good I'm goin for it. Supposed to go to his shop to talk to him one morning this week and get the efi in a few weeks because I want to get gauges first . What type of tunes should I get .. I really don't want to fry my tranny. I don't tow very often..
Ask Dustin while you are on the phone..

1. 150hp
2. 110hp
3. 90hp
4. 40hp
5. Optimized stock OR Anti Theft.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I will. I can't wait to get efi to see what all the hypes about lol

·
Registered
505 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Haha I can't wait I was originaly just going to get a canned tuner but these guy talked me out of it REAL quick haha.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Dustin said that he knows him and they are friends. He said he's very good to. I'm goin for it.

·
Its just a worktruck
13,908 Posts
David is a good guy. I'm sure they'll take care of you!

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm glad. Meetin up with him sometime this week.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Dustin said that he knows him and they are friends. He said he's very good to. I'm goin for it.
ya the dts guys are good guys. ive met them with dustin at a couple of events, they helped me diagnose a problem with my truck after i ran it down the track id recommend them

1 - 20 of 20 Posts