Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got efi live installed yesterday. Got tow tune (50hp) daily driver (80) street (110) and max 120. I've only had it on daily driver tune. World of difference, but i have a big hill to go up that I drive up all the time going home. And I've noticed turbo "surging" as I'm just easing up hill, 35 mph or so. Is this normal? All other driving situation seem smooth, just wondering if this is something to worry about or not.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
445 Posts
That is not normal. Contact your tuner and see what they say first. The issue could be completely unrelated to the tune, but if it didn't do it before you installed the tune than I'd be contacting my tuner first. If they can confirm that it is nothing in the tuning than you'll have to start diagnosing from there.

·
Registered
7,443 Posts
Try your lowest hp tune and see what happens.
Also where is your fuel level?
How's your fuel filter has it been changed recently?
Surging in most cases is caused by the fuel pump can't keep up with the demand of the larger hp and or low on fuel pulling a hill, fuel filter needs changing.
Who did your tuning to offer a 50 hp tune as your lowest?
Even though you say your easing up a hill it's still demanding more fuel to pull the hill.
I would try the lowest hp first make sure your full on the fuel and your fuel filters condition,
does it need changing ?
Then if your still having problems call your tuner.
They should ask you do do all of the above anyway to determine what's causing your problem.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No didn't do it before. I had a local guy install switch and load tunes. Tuning came from farmtuned. I requested lower HP towing tune just to be safer on transmission. Like I said it runs like a bat out hell, just pulling up the hill that I notice the "surging/pulsing" it's almost like its the turbo vane position is moving or something. Hard to explain. It just didn't do this before. I've been pulling this hill for over 2 years with this truck. Don't get me wrong it pulls hill fine no loss of power it's just if I'm easing up hill it's like vane position or something can't decide where it wants to be. Fuel filter has maybe 3000 miles on it.

·
Registered
7,443 Posts
The reasoning behind me suggesting switching to your 50hp tune is its possible you'll need to add a lift pump to run the 80hp tune.
I've never heard of Farmtune, a few of these tuners that push these high HP tunes, never disclose that you'll need to add a lift pump to run them.
If your problem is solved with the 50hp tune then you'll know.
If not, then you have either a fuel supply issue, a tuning issue or something else going wrong.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Don't think he needs a lift pump to run that tune 35 mph up a hill.

·
Registered
7,443 Posts
Don't think he needs a lift pump to run that tune 35 mph up a hill.
More than likely not, but if he doesn't try the lower hp tune, he'll never know will he.
The first thing a reputable tuner would suggest, would be to try a lower HP setting.

Maybe YOU can continue on with helping him trouble shoot his problems, instead of posting what you did.
Take over his trouble shooting give him some suggestions, please, we're all anxious to hear your ideas, to help the OP out.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Maybe it's a dirty MAF sensor. Throttle pedal position sensor may be on it's way our. Did the tuner adjust your turbo vanes at idle? Does it rumble or hiss at idle?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Still the same with lower tune. Someone that has never drove my truck probably wouldn't even notice it. But I can and I don't think it's a fuel problem. If I ease on into throttle and get to 40-45, truck will accelerate just fine. It's just different than before. Maybe it's that I'm not used to how the truck runs with tunes.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
My truck surged at light throttle inputs with my last set of tunes. It was almost like the throttle was at the right position for it to try and rumble idle while I was moving slowly. The vanes on the turbo were cycling back and forth from rumble to hiss until I gave it a little more throttle input

·
Registered
7,443 Posts
Yea it rumbles at idle

One last suggestion what's the condition of your airfilter, if it's a little dirty it might be fine on flat ground but as soon as you hit a incline demanding a little more airflow and if it doesn't have enough available that could also cause a issue like your explaining.
Other than that I'm out of suggestions, other than all of the others suggestions your going to have to get with your tuner or get someone to test drive your truck. Heyyaa

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My truck surged at light throttle inputs with my last set of tunes. It was almost like the throttle was at the right position for it to try and rumble idle while I was moving slowly. The vanes on the turbo were cycling back and forth from rumble to hiss until I gave it a little more throttle input

That's exactly what it seems like is happening. If I just accelerate a little she takes right off. Maybe it's just something I'll have to get used to.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
One last suggestion what's the condition of your airfilter, if it's a little dirty it might be fine on flat ground but as soon as you hit a incline demanding a little more airflow and if it doesn't have enough available that could also cause a issue like your explaining.
Other than that I'm out of suggestions, other than all of the others suggestions your going to have to get with your tuner or get someone to test drive your truck. Heyyaa

Just replaced it saturday, same day I got my tunes.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
See if the guy who loaded your tunes can send a data log to your tuner

·
Registered
849 Posts
mine usually rumbles at idle, but sometimes will go back to hiss for a couple seconds...is that normal?

·
Registered
1,779 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I bought the autocal too. As soon as I figure all that out I could send it to him myself. Or I assume I can do that with autocal? I talked to the tuner before I decided to use his tunes. He's out of owensville MO. There was actually few guys on here that use his tunes and seem to really like them. Don't get me wrong I'm loving the efi live. That pulsing/surging was just something different

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
To follow up with this. My problem was egr not blocked but was disabled thru my efi live. I got blocker plate put in this weekend and surging went away. Truck is very smooth now. Was losing boost through unblocked egr. Just a watch out for a noob with efi. If your tuner disables egr make sure you block it off

·
Registered
7,443 Posts
Your post #19 was the first time you mentioned anything about the EGR turned off but not blocked.
Most people run this way with EGR Turned off and not blocked leaving it plugged in, without problems.
BUT I always suggest unplugging the EGR even if it's turned off with the EFI tune.
IMO it's not always going to work like you/they think or they tell you.
Several including me had issues with just the turning off the EGR with the tune.
Unplugged it, no more problems.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.