Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 05 LLY with the mods in the sig. I am looking to get EFI but I am concerned about my tranny. It may be a year or so before I can afford to build the tranny so I want to run some small tunes 40-70hp max.

I don't want to waste money on a cheaper tuner just to replace it in 6 months to a year.

Can someone explain to me how I would go about getting some tranny safe tunes for my stock truck? I know its easy to just put a Quadzilla on a 40 horse tune, but with EFI if your making your own tunes how do you know what HP your feeding your drivetrain.

Are there premade smaller tunes I can get until I am ready to get a tranny? If so are they free from EFI live or do i need to buy them from a tuner or what?

Thanks for the help and sorry for the long post!!!!:drink

·
Registered
736 Posts
I have an 05 LLY with the mods in the sig. I am looking to get EFI but I am concerned about my tranny. It may be a year or so before I can afford to build the tranny so I want to run some small tunes 40-70hp max.

I don't want to waste money on a cheaper tuner just to replace it in 6 months to a year.

Can someone explain to me how I would go about getting some tranny safe tunes for my stock truck? I know its easy to just put a Quadzilla on a 40 horse tune, but with EFI if your making your own tunes how do you know what HP your feeding your drivetrain.

Are there premade smaller tunes I can get until I am ready to get a tranny? If so are they free from EFI live or do i need to buy them from a tuner or what?

When you buy EFI from a vendor, they usually give you 2 free tunes of your choice. Whatever you want. Stock trans tunes or grenade stock trans tunes :D You won't be wasting your money, just do some research on who you want to build your tunes.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When you buy EFI from a vendor, they usually give you 2 free tunes of your choice. Whatever you want. Stock trans tunes or grenade stock trans tunes :D You won't be wasting your money, just do some research on who you want to build your tunes.
any recommendation for who makes good tunes....?

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
basically what he said^^
call up one of the big name tuners and tell them what you need/want, they tell you every thing you need to know and will help you out.
i got a 40hp, 50hp an 80 and a 150 for stock trans, and rob said if i buy the tranny through him that he would give me the maxeffort tunes for free. so far i like them, just want more power...waiting on a tranny and thatll be fixed though.
and idahorob i heard is one of the best, i also hear of someguy named nick? or something? and mike?
i think norcalnick is nick? not sure, and mmlmm is mike? and again, i am not sure, i went with rob for mine.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
basically what he said^^
call up one of the big name tuners and tell them what you need/want, they tell you every thing you need to know and will help you out.
i got a 40hp, 50hp an 80 and a 150 for stock trans, and rob said if i buy the tranny through him that he would give me the maxeffort tunes for free. so far i like them, just want more power...waiting on a tranny and thatll be fixed though.
and idahorob i heard is one of the best, i also hear of someguy named nick? or something? and mike?
i think norcalnick is nick? not sure, and mmlmm is mike? and again, i am not sure, i went with rob for mine.
sorry for my ignorance....who is rob?

·
Registered
736 Posts
There are plently of reputable tuners on here. I can't speak for all of them since I've only run a few different tuners' tunes. I couldn't be happier with Nick (Duramaxtuner) and IdahoRob's tunes. I've also heard great things about Jess (Husker Diesel). Really they all make great tunes and will work with you until you get the tune how you want it. The customer service is what sets each one apart I believe.

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
look in the search box also, thats where i found all of it for me.
just read around and see what everyone else has in their sigs and whatnot.

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
I believe for that small of a tune that it probably doesn't matter which tuner you pick, i cant say who is the best either. i just chose rob because i hear alot about him. I hear a lot of good things about pretty much all of them.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i appreciate all the help guys!!!!

·
Registered
4,016 Posts

You can get a range of 5 tunes and use them at your discretion. I would suggest custom tuning for this though.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts