Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
I'm?? Ron Burgundy??
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i'm a little on the fence about switching to EFI live. I've been doing alot of reading here and haven't found a single person that hates it. So here are a few questions I have.

1. My truck is a daily driver, I more or less just putz around and occaisonally make some hot passes. But none the less I love to have that extra big power on tap at the turn of a switch. I currently have a Bullydog PMT. I understand that they are all basically programmed the same way for each level. So I guess where my question comes in, is what am I benefiting by switching to EFI if all I am gonna do is switch to a different power level, (tow, race....etc).
I just do that now with the PMT now. I am not buying the software part, just paying for the 5 power levels. I don't really have plans on tweaking it to my needs.

2. Does EFI offer just a base 5 level tune that is preset for most guys like me?

3. In the research I have been doing, I thought I read something about having the ECM reflashed to stock. Isn't my truck returned to stock when I set my PMT to rewrite ECM to stock in order to remove the PMT to make the change to EFI?

4. If the ECM has to be reflashed to stock is to done with the software that my installer uses?

I hope these aren't stupid questions but I'm green on EFI and want to have all the info before I make the plunge.

·
Slave to the Interwebs
9,953 Posts
You do not have to have the ECM reflashed to "stock" simply returning the Bully dog to stock will do this as you know.
You can just order a pre-tuned ECM with a DSP5 switch and save some money on hardware. It will contain five programs you have custom made for your needs/mods. Then all you have to do is swap ECMs. it is pretty straight forward on swapping them. If you have any issues then you can just put your stock ecm back in for dealer visits.
EFI is a great programming option. It allows a custom tune for your needs and modifications done to your truck. We have some really good tuners on site as well that are willing to help you out.

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
I had 2 different "off the shelf" tuners before i bought efi and they were both good. But i wished i would have used the money on efi from the start. You will love efi.

·
I'm?? Ron Burgundy??
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You do not have to have the ECM reflashed to "stock" simply returninging the Bully dog to stock will do this as you know.
You can just order a pre-tuned ECM with a DSP5 switch and save some money on hardware. It will contain five programs you have custom made for your needs/mods. Then all you have to do is swap ECMs. it is pretty straight forward on swapping them. If you have any issues then you can just put your stock ecm back in for dealer visits.
EFI is a great programming option. It allows a custom tune for your needs and modifications done to your truck. We have some really good tuners on site as well that are willing to help you out.
I can just tune my current ECM right?

·
Slave to the Interwebs
9,953 Posts
Yes you can.. You will just have to be careful if you take it back to the dealer for any reason. You must make sure they do not try to reflash it

·
Registered
947 Posts
These were all questions I had as well im glad im not the only one asking... but if ya dont mind me bumping in when you have a dsp 5 switch does the transmission have to relearn the power levels like with off the shelf tuners when you change power levels?

·
I'm?? Ron Burgundy??
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
what are the most common tunes everyone does for each switch level?

·
I'm?? Ron Burgundy??
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
These were all questions I had as well im glad im not the only one asking... but if ya dont mind me bumping in when you have a dsp 5 switch does the transmission have to relearn the power levels like with off the shelf tuners when you change power levels?
That brings up another question I had. Does EFI tune the transmission as well? More than just installing a trans go kit.

·
Slave to the Interwebs
9,953 Posts
Yes your tranny will have to relearn the new tune. But it is not as complicated as most think. It will shift a little funny with different power levels but nothing that is going to cause it to blow up. I would not go from the mildest tune to the hottest and hammer it without driving around a little first for sure. But your tow haul saves its own set of shift patterns. I have mine set up where I race in tow haul only. I do not use tow hauls for anything else. It seems to have held up well.
I am running a tow tune, street tune, economy tune and a race tune. I left the last spot open for playing with the programming to learn what to adjust

·
Registered
926 Posts
Yes your tranny will have to relearn the new tune. But it is not as complicated as most think. It will shift a little funny with different power levels but nothing that is going to cause it to blow up. I would not go from the mildest tune to the hottest and hammer it without driving around a little first for sure. But your tow haul saves its own set of shift patterns. I have mine set up where I race in tow haul only. I do not use tow hauls for anything else. It seems to have held up well.
I am running a tow tune, street tune, economy tune and a race tune. I left the last spot open for playing with the programming to learn what to adjust
I don't think tow haul has seperate taps, I wish it did. You can mess with shifts between the two, but taps stay the same. The TCM thinks your engine is still the same old Duramax.

·
I'm?? Ron Burgundy??
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Another thought, what does DSP stand for?

·
Registered
926 Posts
Duramax switchable performance

·
Registered
947 Posts
wow I never would have guessed that

·
I'm?? Ron Burgundy??
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i've also read something about having to have the ECM and TCM sent out to be bench
flashed, is something i'm also gonna have to do?

·
Registered
926 Posts
No. That is BS. Who said that?, EFI live can, but not without input.

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
If done the way I do, then no. Once the tranny has settled down to the new code, switching between tunes has no bump effect on transmission adaptive learning.

·
Registered
58 Posts
No. That is BS. Who said that?, EFI live can, but not without input.
Now this is not what I was told by Nick if I am not mistaken.
I was planning on having Nick just send me a pre-programed ecm/tcm , and send him mine , but as of now he does not have any ecm's for my truck year and so he said I would need to send him mine so they could be bench flashed and sent back to me.......?

·
Registered
183 Posts
EFI can tune, reflash, scan, clear codes, etc.. on MOST GM vehicles. So if thats something you want play with and try to build your on tunes then get EFI, if not , then get the tuned ECM with DSP5.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts