Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey ive got a bone stock 2006 duramax....i have heard mixed reviews about the out of the box programmers and chips and what not....i am not sure if i wanna commit to an efi live because i am very confused on how to use it and if it will damage my truck. what i am thinking of doing is getting the transgo jr shift kit to protect my allison transmission and the ppe xcelerator hot...i want good safe power for towing and jsut cruising and a good amount of smoke when necesarry. my main question is basically simply in steps how do i go about efi and if i go with that should i do anything else to my tranny?......whats the deal with buying tunes?.....or do i have to make my own?

·
Premium Member
9,706 Posts
This should answer a lot of your questions about EFI Live...

http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/efi-live/30321-atten-interested-efilive.html

If you're wanting smoke, the PPE is generally a pretty clean running tuner. You might get a little puff before the turbo spools, but thats about it. It will be very good power that feels smooth, and shifts smooth though. And it typically returns very nice mileage as well.

My advice is if you're decent with computers, and understand fairly well how your truck operates then EFI could be a good investment for you. If you're not good with computers, or aren't very mechanically inclined, then I'd stick with a box tuner since EFI Live is fairly complex.

Let me know if I can help.

-Jesse

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hey, yeah i am very mechanically inclined and pretty decent on a computer......so from reading that article basically i buy an efi live programmer similar to a ppe one.....then buy custom tunes online from the efi live website or duramax tuner....download them to my programmer then into my truck? thanks for your help

·
Premium Member
9,706 Posts
More or less yeah. You buy EFI Live from one of the site sponsors (vendors) here, or another tuner of your choice. Most tuners include 2 free tunes with the purchase. You can load those tunes and run them, and if you want to you can modify them and try different things, or even make your own tunes. Or if you would like you can buy single tunes from about any tuner that sells EFI Live. You can pretty much make it as simple or as complex as you want it. Some people never try to modify a tune or anything like that, others have been running their own tunes for years :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.