Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, the EPA ban on EGR delete tuning came into effect on September 16/2019, this being said it makes selling tunes with a EGR Delete in the united states Illegal. I live in canada, where as far as i understand its still legal to sell/buy EGR delete tunes. So i am putting the question out to you guys, What can be done? all the grand-daddy tuners (PPEI, Ridge Runner, Kory etc) are all american and would have to abide by the law otherwise face huge fines. They can sell tunes still, however they cannot be EGR delete tunes. Is there a way to maybe, "Inject" a EGR Delete into one of these tunes before flashing it onto the truck? is there a retailer for these tuning companies based in canada (or other country, no regulated by the EPA) that maybe "Accidently" never got the EPA approved tunes from these well-known tuners? is there maybe a canadian tuner who is well respected?

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
So, the EPA ban on EGR delete tuning came into effect on September 16/2019, this being said it makes selling tunes with a EGR Delete in the united states Illegal. I live in canada, where as far as i understand its still legal to sell/buy EGR delete tunes. So i am putting the question out to you guys, What can be done? all the grand-daddy tuners (PPEI, Ridge Runner, Kory etc) are all american and would have to abide by the law otherwise face huge fines. They can sell tunes still, however they cannot be EGR delete tunes. Is there a way to maybe, "Inject" a EGR Delete into one of these tunes before flashing it onto the truck? is there a retailer for these tuning companies based in canada (or other country, no regulated by the EPA) that maybe "Accidently" never got the EPA approved tunes from these well-known tuners? is there maybe a canadian tuner who is well respected?
you cant modify the tune so injecting anything into it thats not already there is not an option. You may want to look at Motorops, they are based in Canada. Technically though, EGR deletes have never been legal in the US, so its not really any different now than before except that its actually starting to be enforced.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You may want to look at Motorops, they are based in Canada.
Thanks for the advice, their power pack is a really good deal, brings the cost of the Autocal and tune way down. Just need a passenger side downpipe (i hear horror storys of EGR Blocker plates)

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
Thanks for the advice, their power pack is a really good deal, brings the cost of the Autocal and tune way down. Just need a passenger side downpipe (i hear horror storys of EGR Blocker plates)
you need an up pipe, not a down pipe, but yes, the blocker plated tend to not end well in most cases. The up pipe takes exhaust from the header to the turbo pedestal where as the down pipe takes exhaust from the turbo outlet to the exhaust pipe out the back of the truck. You may want to consider both though, since parts are only going to get harder to get, and the down pipe from the factory has a pretty severe crush in it.

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
True that, but i value the input of the people on this forum a lot. it would be nice to come to a consensus on the best tuner in canada.
Motor ops is the only tuner i am aware of in Canada, im sure there are others, but they are the only name big enough to make it down south, at least that ive heard of or seen mentioned on this forum.

·
Registered
7,286 Posts
True that, but i value the input of the people on this forum a lot. it would be nice to come to a consensus on the best tuner in canada.
Did you notice where J83 is located ?
Maybe a little north of you but still good advice.
I’m sure the company he’s mentioning can take care of your needs.
“One call that’s all”

Reactions: 407driver

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey guys, New to the forum... I have a 2011 duramax and have a simple and probably stupid question... is there a way to just get a tuner that blocks the need for the def system without removing any of its components?? I’m tired of the endless bills for fixing each part but dont want to have a loud truck or need any more HP....
thanks

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
Hey guys, New to the forum... I have a 2011 duramax and have a simple and probably stupid question... is there a way to just get a tuner that blocks the need for the def system without removing any of its components?? I’m tired of the endless bills for fixing each part but dont want to have a loud truck or need any more HP....
thanks
without removing ANY components? no, but you can do it with removing minimal components by replacing the DPF with a straight pipe and flashing a delete tune with EFI live.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey guys. I need to know (and feel better) about what I’ve done to my LMM. I just put 3” downpipe and 5” straight exhaust. Had all intention of doing the EFI Live Willis tune. Of course now they don’t do deleted trucks!!! What are my options because truck dash is lit up like a Christmas tree and it stays in limp mode. EGR delete and up pipes will come later when I get the money. I just want a single tow tune to make my truck operable. Thanks!!!

·
Registered
323 Posts
What part of Canada are you in? I have a friend who lives just outside of Edmonton,AB. He purchased tuning locally for his Cummins. He seems happy with the results. If you are close to there I can call him and see if the shop does tuning on Duramax engines.

Reactions: Dales Super Store

·
Registered
916 Posts
Hey guys. I need to know (and feel better) about what I’ve done to my LMM. I just put 3” downpipe and 5” straight exhaust. Had all intention of doing the EFI Live Willis tune. Of course now they don’t do deleted trucks!!! What are my options because truck dash is lit up like a Christmas tree and it stays in limp mode. EGR delete and up pipes will come later when I get the money. I just want a single tow tune to make my truck operable. Thanks!!!
Motor ops. They're based out of Canada

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ok I’ll check them out. Is their programmer set up as that I can buy more tunes when I finally get the full egr delete done?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I hope this will fix it. It’s rolling black when you barely get into it. I get big smoke when I really lay into it. have to keep clearing the codes just to take it down the road to keep the batts up. I’d rather have no smoke if I can help it. Lol

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
I hope this will fix it. It’s rolling black when you barely get into it. I get big smoke when I really lay into it. have to keep clearing the codes just to take it down the road to keep the batts up. I’d rather have no smoke if I can help it. Lol
that..... does not sound like a emissions intact truck working correctly. Im not sure i would slap a tune on that as a fix.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Some part of me thinks my egr is probably completely clogged up. I bought the truck new and my own business up until last year. Truck has done a lot of still idling. I want to do the egr delete but don’t have the money. Any other reasons for excessive smoking?

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
Some part of me thinks my egr is probably completely clogged up. I bought the truck new and my own business up until last year. Truck has done a lot of still idling. I want to do the egr delete but don’t have the money. Any other reasons for excessive smoking?
black smoke means unburned fuel in the combustion stroke, so either you are not getting enough air into the cylinder (really restricted filter, damaged turbo, boost leak, ect) or you are adding too much fuel, which is unlikely with stock tuning unless theres been work done like upgraded injectors. Id look for a boost leak first.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts