Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New guy here I have an edge tuner on my truck now I see that they are not so popular here. seens like EFI live is the thing to do. can you guys help me understand the difference between them. Dose EFI LIVE have a gauge like the edge? can you shift on the fly? Is it progamed though the OBD2. Do you guys think I will see a difference with EFI. A friend of mine has an 2007 ford super duty with 6.0L with edge tuner it seems to be way more responsive than my truck is it the tuner or the truck? sorry for the book I just want to understand.

·
Registered
12,050 Posts
well for your first question EFI does not have gauges, you can shift on the fly with a DSP5 switch..just a 5 position switch, your program it through the OBD2 port but the program goes into the ECM you dont leave it plugged in while driving you will see a MAJOR difference with EFI it is 100000000000000000000000000000000 times better than edge

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
No EFI live does not have gauges, you can shift on the fly with a DSP 2 or DSP 5 switch, if not it is programmed through the OBDII and a laptop, you will see a major difference with EFI live depending on the tuner you get your tunes made from EFI live is custom tuning not canned generic tuning like the edge

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for all the info. So is this something I can do my self or do I have to have it done. Is it as simple as pluging in to my OBD2 port? where dose the switch go?

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
The switch has pins that plug into the PCM, you should be able to do it yourself, But the difference is since it is custom tuning, you will have to pay a proffesional tuner to make you a tune to meet your needs or what you want your truck to do,

·
That One Guy
7,421 Posts
What do you plan on doing with your truck. EFIlive may not be needed you might just want to change programers.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Anyone in Michigan? who can get me set up with someone to figure out what I want to do. Is EFI any harder on the drivetrain than the edge?

·
That One Guy
7,421 Posts
EFIlive is a full custom tuning software and the sky is them limits you can blow up your motor or transmission in a heart beat with EFIlive. Do you plan on racing with your truck, towing, what do you plan on doing with your truck before you buy an $800 software. It is not a plug an play tuner you have to reflash you ECM.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My truck is a daily driver and I tow a camper in the summer the trailer is 31FT its about 9000Lbs

·
That One Guy
7,421 Posts
Do you plan on building the motor or transmission? Do you plan on building a 500+hp truck?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No, didn't really want to go that far just looking a little extra power. bought this truck new was not impressed with the way it pulled my trailer. so got a bully dog programer a wast of money then got the edge tuner it was better than stock so I stuck with it. but then found this fourm and not so sure I should have got the edge.

·
That One Guy
7,421 Posts
Go with a PPE they are the best tuners for the Duramax you will save a lot of money and you wont need to spend $800 on EFIlive and then another $200+ for a laptop for your EFIlive. If anything get a hold of Killerbee and talk to him about his pretuned ECM's if you really want EFIlive in my eye you really don't need the whole setup.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.