Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you can make a turbo brake in tow haul does this mean you can have a whole different tune in tow/haul or how does this work! :confused:

·
Stupid Has The Balls
2,515 Posts
Turbo brakes work when the TC is locked. So when the TCM tells the ECM its locked the ECM tells the turbobrake to kick in when you no longer have your foot on the pedal

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
tune shouldnt change in tow/haul. But the trans goes into lock up in all gears i believe every shift it makes. As apposed to converter>then lockup in all gears

·
Premium Member
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Would be nice to have seperate t/h tunes but DPS5 does basically the same.
ya plus if you get someone in there that towes a trailer and leaves it in a hight tune cuz they didnt hit the tow haul button a DSP5 is better

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
If you can make a turbo brake in tow haul does this mean you can have a whole different tune in tow/haul or how does this work! :confused:
no. it is done in tables common to all tunes. However because of how tow/haul behaves, the brake can be built such that it is only effective in tow/haul.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Tow/Haul only adjusts the TCM. Don't let people fool you differently to make you think they have something special. T/H adjusts shift points, shift timing, and locks the converter in 2nd gear instead of 5th.

The turbo brake can be active in any tune on the dsp 5. This is not a huge help in slowing a truck like some would like to think. It is NOT a jake brake or exhaust brake. The turbo will spin very fast even with the vanes closed. This little turbo will not hold back a loaded tow rig.

It does help a bit, but not like some would like you to think. Just something to think about.

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
The turbo brake I build, is built to be effective in tow/haul, and ineffective in normal mode. There are no adjustments made to the TCM. It is built to augment the allison grade-brake feature, and becomes disabled when grade braking is disabled.

In normal mode, there will be no indication that there is turbo-brake programming. To me, this is the safest way to build it. This way, when tire slip is sensed, it is deactivated.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
I really enjoy the turbo brake feature on my tuning. Definately effective, but as Rob says we shouldnt depend on it to take place of actual braking.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts