Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, here's the question; what will EFILive do that the other tuners won't, how does it work, what does it cost, etc. ? I have a Bully Dog Triple Dog tuner now with an Outlook Monitor, three power levels, on the fly adjustment. Would EFILive do any better as far as power, fuel economy, durability? Thanks:confused:

·
Registered
163 Posts
efi is a custom tune(s) for your specific truck. you can either buy efi and do it yourself or you can buy tunes from a tuner. The tunes can be made for pretty much whatever you want, tow, hot, extreme, smoke, lope, etc. As for on the fly adjustability, you can get a dsp2 or dsp 5 switch in which you can select through 2 or 5 tunes that are programed. you can buy pre-tuned ecm's from a tuner as well. this is the best tuning device for the duramax and any reputable tuner will give you what you are looking for.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will it work with my outlook as far as monitoring the engine? What adjusting the tranny?

·
Registered
163 Posts
i belive it will still work with that. As for the trany, keep it at a 90 or a 100 rwhp tune and you should be good without upgrading, but you could start with a trans-go jr. kit or a full build on it

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Well as you may know EFILive is a custom tuning program at has over 200 tables that can be adjusted to do whatever the tuner wants. So thus EFILive is only as good as the tuner. In the proper hands EFI is generally better than can tuners as a general rule.

Yes if you want more power, with supporting mods you are pretty much limitless as to where you can go with it and even with your current setup it will be able to make the most of it.

With durability it will be partly to do with the tune, but basically the more power you have the harder it will be on the truck.

As far as fuel mileage that depends. I dont know how good bully dog does at that, but it is likely that you would see some sort of increase.

Costs vary per tuner. and how you want to do it. If you want to learn to do your own tuning you will need a V2. You can download a demo version of the software from EFILives website and you can decide if its for you. If you have a local tuner that will be the easiest and cheapest route as you can have them flash the truck using there V2, or you can get a tuned ECM for probably not a lot more money, Or you can just Get the V2 and use it for an interface to flash the tunes that you would get from another tuner, but that will definately cost more. as far as tuners i would check with one of the vendors on this sight.

I personally do my own tuning. it is a lot of work just to learn the basics, but is very rewarding and a lot of fun. and i am constantly trying to blow my stuff up:D Hope this helps and isnt too confusing:)

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Will EFILive work with the 4500 & 5000 trucks?

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So, can I make it do burn-outs at 60mph? hahaha, just kidding. can you tell me what kind of tune you could make that would be comparable to a bully dog extreme setting on my dmax? I like the power & response, but the throttle is really touchy. I like the boost controller I put on; would EFI be able to do the same, or better? It does seem to have lowered the EGTs, and cleaned up the smoke at WOT. Thanks

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Best thing is that it allows the end user to adjust for their needs. Every driver is different as is their needs and goals for the rig. An over the counter box has to take into account all the potenial customers and adjusts for the masses and is sub par to what you can do yourself for your own needs.

EFI rocks for the end user that likes to spend a bit of time and have some fun with their trucks. Some make it out to be bad ju-ju to try your hand at tuning, I say that is the beauty of it. Buy it from someone that will give a couple of basic, unlocked tunes to get you started, then play with them from there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts