Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any big advantage other than the familiarity with efi live? I'm familiar with hp tuners on all my hotrods and looking for a dmax right now. Just wondered if EFI live is hands down better for any reason.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
doesn't have as much featers and support as efi live.

HP tuners is catered more to the lsx crowds and such

gas = hp tuners

diesel = efi live

·
I'm That Guy...
16,690 Posts
I don't necessarily agree with the HPT / Gas and EFIL / Diesel.

That said, I've played with both and I like EFI Live much more. It seems to have more tables available then HP Tuners for the platforms I looked at.

The biggest reason to use EFI Live is if you are hiring a tuner, the best tuners that I've found use EFI Live.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess it might be safe to say though that hp may come along a little more considering they haven't had the dmax platform for very long. Don't you think?

·
I'm That Guy...
16,690 Posts
If you read the HPT forums, you can see a few people using HPT to tune Duramax's.

·
I'm That Guy...
16,690 Posts
Have you thought about trying EFI Live in your gas world? I like EFI Live MUCH better then HPT. I'm interested in learning more about HPT and I like certain aspects of their licensing better then EFI Live.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've had zero experience with EFI live. Honestly I've been tuning with fast since before it was fast, and done a little with motec. I just gave hpt a shot about a year ago. I'm not opposed to efi live, but I have no issues with hpt, so I've never had a reason to get into efi live till now. Well at least when I aquire a diesel. I've always been a dmax fan but I'm also currently considering a 6.0 stroke. Maybe an 07 and then putting head studs an such in it and giving it hell. It's just GM's interior is so much nicer and more comfy than the other options.

·
I'm That Guy...
16,690 Posts
I've had zero experience with EFI live. Honestly I've been tuning with fast since before it was fast, and done a little with motec. I just gave hpt a shot about a year ago. I'm not opposed to efi live, but I have no issues with hpt, so I've never had a reason to get into efi live till now. Well at least when I aquire a diesel. I've always been a dmax fan but I'm also currently considering a 6.0 stroke. Maybe an 07 and then putting head studs an such in it and giving it hell. It's just GM's interior is so much nicer and more comfy than the other options.
Download the demo off EFI Live and get some stock tunes, I think the layout is 100% better in EFI Live. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
You should do some reading on the duramax vs 6.0powerstroke..
In a summary you'll spend twice as much on the powerstroke fixing it and adding things to make it keep up with a duramax tuned with efilive and nothing more. It's sad really. also I don't elieve there is a custom tune tool for the powerstroke, I heard act you have to be a vendor to use it as a tune tool? Idk.

On the topic of efi live vs hp tuners, it's more of a preference to most. The support is way bigger with efi live, but if your going to tune it yourself and your more familiar with hp then that would be better IMO. I've heard edi live has more tables available for the duramax though, and after tuning a cummins(very little tables out compared to a duramax right now) it is nice having more tables to change stuff on.
Disclaimer: I am by no means a tuner, I just know how to mess a few things up!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Disclaimer: I am by no means a tuner, I just know how to mess a few things up!
LOL...Don't we all. If your not effin something up your not trying very hard.

and I hear you on the ps vs the dmax. I've always been a dmax fan, but at the same time I've seen some really good lookin and running powerstrokes.

·
Hang it!...Fire!
4,244 Posts
last time i heard about hptuners was when i had a cobalt. efi is definitely the way to go. if it aint broke dont fix it

·
I'm That Guy...
16,690 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts