Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

Im new to the duramax world and tryin to learn the best I can here. I have a 2007 GMC Single Cab LBZ and it keeps popping an EGR code, Naturally you would fix the parts (BTW im in cali) but I was looking into doing an EGR block off plate and was curious as to if I needed to tune the truck after I had done that. The truck isnt hauling anything right now but a Jet boat (so basically nothing) and after that I was looking at adding in a "Finger Stick" to get the engine light to go out. The truck is 100% bone stock and has never had a programmer on it.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Hey everyone,

Im new to the duramax world and tryin to learn the best I can here. I have a 2007 GMC Single Cab LBZ and it keeps popping an EGR code, Naturally you would fix the parts (BTW im in cali) but I was looking into doing an EGR block off plate and was curious as to if I needed to tune the truck after I had done that. The truck isnt hauling anything right now but a Jet boat (so basically nothing) and after that I was looking at adding in a "Finger Stick" to get the engine light to go out. The truck is 100% bone stock and has never had a programmer on it.
If you do a blocker plate , a finger stick will shut the light off . Or you can just get efi live tuning and have the egr shut off that way . Not too sure about California laws. I have a never used finger stick for an lbz if you want it . $30 plus shipping

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,485 Posts
Chances are, inserting a $10 block plate won't set a hard code engine light. Some LBZ's do, some don't. My '7 doesn't.

I would just install a plate and see what's up. cheap, not permanent. either it does or it doesn't. Either way, it won't affect performance or driving with it on or not.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
And its easy to remove for testing. I think in cali for emissions they just check to see that its not disabled, so if you install the plate with gaskets on both sides and remove the little "finger" on the plate, it will just blend in. Egr valve will still be functional. It may throw a flow code periodically especially if you really get on the skinny but for the most part you should have little chance of a light. The light will not affect performance at all.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
One of the big selling points for an LBZ is that the emissions controls are less intrusive. Try the plate and see what happens.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Programmer

Thanks everyone for the input! so as far as you guys know, I dont need a programmer or tuner when I install a block off plate correct?

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,485 Posts
Maybe some black electrical tape, to fix the engine light....if it appears. marx

·
Registered
325 Posts
However I’m not sure on emission requirements in ca. In pa my truck doesn’t have to pass an emissions test . If it would have to take the same emission test as lower weight vehicles in my state, it would fail immediately for the cel on the dash

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the quick responses, In CA it will cause a failure but theres ways around that. Very beneifical information.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts