Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm installing a turbo back exhaust and they say I should get an EGR blocker. Who out there has it and is it needed? It's $216 installed?....

·
Hi, I'm Earth. Have we met?
3,162 Posts
Its not needed but it keeps unwanted exhaust heat out of the engine coolant and also keeps soot out of the intake side of the engine. As for a finger stick (code blocker) you might need one if the truck throws codes for the egr after the exhaust install. Some guys claim all trucks wont throw codes after a turbo back exhaust but every one i have seen except one has! Finger stick and blocker can be gotten at kennedydiesel.com for like 50 bucks and takes about 1 hour to install both?

·
Registered
335 Posts
Also the blocker plate is only 15 dollars and only take 5 mins to install your self.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have the ppe egr code eliminator and want to get the blocker plate do i still need the code eliminator with the blocker plate?

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is odd

I just purchased a used 06 4x4 ccsb duramax. It came
with the 5" exhaust on it. I put a Tri dog on it and cut
open the air box, and just recently installed a Egr blocker
plate. The truck had excellent power and good mileage, but after installing the blocker plate i noticed that the
cruising throttle was very good but when i get on it (wot)
it has about 30% less power than before. Funny thing is
it is not throwing any codes. Whats up with that !!!:help:confused:

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
The EGR could not be the problem-- it has to be something else. Fuel filter-- air filter-- dirty MAF sensor-???

·
Registered
44 Posts
EGR Blocker

I have a 2006 LLY with a MBRP exhaust and a AFE stage 2 cold air intake and a bully dog triple dog programmer. On occasion the truck has thrown the P1404 (Exhaust Gas Recirculation Flow Insufficient Detected). Would the EGR blocker fix this code from showing up again thus fixing the problem? Is it necessary to get the EGR blocker? Any recommendations or thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Registered
438 Posts
EASY answer

There are 3 different rpo codes for 3 different trucks regarding these trucks. The code you are looking for indicates where the truck was built. Emission laws etc. You will have to google the codes - they are related to EGR. My rpo code indicated mine was built down south, so my truck does not throw codes for this. If your truck was built up north, by the hippies, you will throw a code. IF you do - do not install a finger stick :booboo. Fucking nightmare and taps into factory wire harness, huge $$$ to spend if u fuck it up. Anyways, i believe you can get the rpo code for your truck from kennedy diesel, then you will KNOW before you install the blocker whether or not u will throw a code.

·
Premium Member
827 Posts
i would say unless u are going to have a real heavy tune then u dont need to block the egr just leave it alone

·
Registered
592 Posts
i would say unless u are going to have a real heavy tune then u dont need to block the egr just leave it alone
I'm sure someone will chime in with the link, but there was a thread with pics of what the egr did to the motor with only 30k(?) on it stock I believe and it was pretty nasty.

Can argue the minimal differences all ya want, but any way you look at it it does more damage hooked up than blocked or deleted out all together

·
Premium Member
827 Posts
dude theres a guy on this site who has about 500 000 miles and no egr delete with a mild tune . 500 000 miles is plenty for me so im not going to mess with it no need. and that guy is not the only one for sure

·
Premium Member
827 Posts
my truck runs great and so do these other guys who have not pluged theres so why would i change something? plus i wouldnt have the truck that long 500 000 is a shit load of miles

·
Registered
592 Posts
dude theres a guy on this site who has about 500 000 miles and no egr delete with a mild tune . 500 000 miles is plenty for me so im not going to mess with it no need. and that guy is not the only one for sure
yeah I know...not saying it's a need-to-do mod because the motor will die out at x amount of miles if you dont, just piece of mind that you dont have unnecessary crap running through your intake for 12 bucks. I honestly want to delete it all together for the sole reason to free up the room under the hood.

·
Premium Member
827 Posts
ya i agree with u there. and belive me if i decide to get some big efi tunes i would deffently dump the egr. im just helping the guys that dont really want a race truck feel ok with not messing with that cause they dont need to.

·
Registered
592 Posts
ya i agree with u there. and belive me if i decide to get some big efi tunes i would deffently dump the egr. im just helping the guys that dont really want a race truck feel ok with not messing with that cause they dont need to.
it's all good. Granted the downside too is I had to live with a CEL for a few months but that doesnt really bother me, got a tuner on the way anyways to take care of that finally. Definately wouldnt be tapping into the main harness just to block a CEL like someone else mentioned for the fingerstick

·
Registered
438 Posts
IMHO, it is a worth while mod, race truck or not. Its cheap to do, and if you find that your truck has the right RPO code (there are 3 related to EGR... one for each truck, depending on where it was built) you can actually put in the EGR blocker with advanced knowledge that you will not have a CEL. I did mine a year ago, can't remember exactly where I got the RPO info, but I think it was kennedy diesel. Give them a call. Installation was a BREEZE too... just need 3/8 ratchet with the right size deep socket... its tight in there.

Why is it worthwhile? Check this...

This is why you block your EGR - Duramax Diesels Forum

And that truck was at 30k! Makes me want to throw mine in the effing parts cleaner! I did mine at 60k, no problems, no codes. If you want those RPO codes to know if your truck will have a CEL... let me know, and i'll find them.

·
Registered
438 Posts
FE9 RPO Code

From another forum:

"YF5 is for the CA emissions
FE9 is Federal emissions
NE1 is Northeast emissions this covers MA, ME, NY and/or VT (some of these states opted in at different times, at least that is my understanding.)

There may be others. So look in your glove box. Look for one of the three above and as a minimum, you will know what you have. Also note, that in the notice they mentioned a "VCL" code, not sure exactly what that is."

My truck had an FE9... if you see an FE9 in the glove box, you WILL NOT get a check engine light. Hope this was helpful everybody! :drink

1 - 20 of 39 Posts