Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been collecting parts for an egr delete and have finally got them all. My question is when I first bought my truck I had Idaho Rob build some tunes for it, and well since he no longer does this that I'm aware of, I had him build in a dpf delete and from what I can find deleting dpf tunes also shut off the egr so i'm safe to follow through with my delete without having her go into limp mode and throw codes like a crazy woman, is this in fact true or will I have to figure out how to get egr delete specific tuning?

·
Premium Member
4,643 Posts
when you deleted the DPF, did you install a blocker plate on the EGR?

Im guessing you already have the EGR delete tunes though. It should be easy enough to find out. Just unplug it and see if you set any codes. If not, you should be good to go.

Reactions: Dales Super Store

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
when you deleted the DPF, did you install a blocker plate on the EGR?

Im guessing you already have the EGR delete tunes though. It should be easy enough to find out. Just unplug it and see if you set any codes. If not, you should be good to go.
I did not install a blocker plate, it never occurred to me at the time to do that, guess thats my own dumba** fault. Yeah I'm gonna have to unplug it and see what she does.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Rob very well may have turned off the EGR in his tuning. If you have a gauge/phone app, you may be able to tell if it is opening or not. May be no difference in what he did and unplugging the EGR motor. One less step.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rob very well may have turned off the EGR in his tuning. If you have a gauge/phone app, you may be able to tell if it is opening or not. May be no difference in what he did and unplugging the EGR motor. One less step.
I have my Edge monitor plugged in, what on there would I be looking for? I'm gonna unplug it tonight and drive it tomorrow and see what happens, if I dont get a CEL i'm going to safely assume that its been turned off.

·
Premium Member
4,643 Posts
I have my Edge monitor plugged in, what on there would I be looking for? I'm gonna unplug it tonight and drive it tomorrow and see what happens, if I dont get a CEL i'm going to safely assume that its been turned off.
You might also call Rob and ask what tune you have. I don't know if the EPA made him destroy all his files or not, but if he still has them, if you tell them the VIN they should be able to tell you what you have.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You might also call Rob and ask what tune you have. I don't know if the EPA made him destroy all his files or not, but if he still has them, if you tell them the VIN they should be able to tell you what you have.
I tried to contact ATP a couple months ago and they wouldn't tell me anything because of the new epa regs, they weren't a lot of help at all.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well delete complete, so far so good, everything went in like it should except for the boot from the intercooler to the intake tube, has a slight leak so I'm going to be replacing that within the next week and be doing a pcv reroute as well.

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
For your own future piece of mind, buy a re-route kit do NOT go cheap with hardware rubber crap, it will not hold up very good with the engines heat.
Rubber will crack deteriorates overtime crumbling allowing dirt getting sucked in.
I like and suggest https://dirtyhookerdiesel.com/c-426611-pcv-re-route-kits.html
Mines been on since 2008.

Delete tuning is just that, I ran for 5 years with my EGR functioning before I blocked it eventually deleting it, with the same tuning.
DHD also has a grid heater delete block/spacer that goes in place of the grid heater, allowing more air flow going thru instead of having the restriction, if your keeping your stock cold side intake from the intercooler.

While your replacing the intercooler boot replace the 2 O-rings at the 2 elbows.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
For your own future piece of mind, buy a re-route kit do NOT go cheap with hardware rubber crap, it will not hold up very good with the engines heat.
Rubber will crack deteriorates overtime crumbling allowing dirt getting sucked in.
I like and suggest https://dirtyhookerdiesel.com/c-426611-pcv-re-route-kits.html
Mines been on since 2008.

Delete tuning is just that, I ran for 5 years with my EGR functioning before I blocked it eventually deleting it, with the same tuning.
DHD also has a grid heater delete block/spacer that goes in place of the grid heater, allowing more air flow going thru instead of having the restriction, if your keeping your stock cold side intake from the intercooler.

While your replacing the intercooler boot replace the 2 O-rings at the 2 elbows.
Yeah I was gonna spend the money on an actual kit, I don't feel like something like that should be skimped on. I replaced the entire piece with a new intake tube, so none of that stuff is there anymore, I kept all the old stuff incase it ever need to go back on for appearances sake though.

Are these orings easy to find or elusive like the radiator hose oring?

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
Pull the metal clips where you see the orange/red markings the elbows will then pull out.
Don’t loose the metal clips you’ll need to reuse them.
You’ll see the o-ring inside, one in each end.
Dealer has the o-rings, I’m sure other parts houses can get them.
I had already started removing the top one, then decided to snap a picture.
With my new cold side intake I had to use the bottom elbow and hose.

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
Rob can’t do tunes anymore?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I just bought a fully deleted truck- but there was no tuner in the truck. I’m getting poor mileage around town and was going to go with an efi live. What now? I have not bought the truck yet but they are letting me drive it around until financing goes through.

·
Registered
32 Posts
The paperwork went through today. I was just concerned that with the truck being deleted I would be screwed because if this epa shit.

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
If you need delete tuning you’ll probably need to go thru tuners in Canada.
If the truck was not tuned then you’d have all kinds of trouble codes and limp mode.

Just because the truck didn’t come with a hand held tuner, doesn’t mean it’s not tuned.
Very few previous owners give the tuner with the vehicle they sold.

Request the dealer to hook up a OBD2 scanner and check for trouble codes.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Motor Ops is who I went with and I'm pleased. They were easy to deal with.
I found out about them from D_R_C/this forum.

Request the dealer to hook up a OBD2 scanner and check for trouble codes.
The more people involved the more people there are to ask questions. Code readers are too cheap not to own one.

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
Motor Ops is who I went with and I'm pleased. They were easy to deal with.
I found out about them from D_R_C/this forum.

The more people involved the more people there are to ask questions. Code readers are too cheap not to own one.
:thumb
I bought what’s pictured below suggested by the GMC dealer diesel tech in 2007 after I had to take mine in several times for ghost codes 'dunno;.
He suggested if I get a code write the number down, clear it, if it comes back then bring it in, code scanner/code clearer cost $75.
The ET50 was discontinued but replaced with another reasonably priced model.
Now it’s in my Denali's center console, having the Edge Insight it’s not needed in my 3500.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts