Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, so I've been researching like crazy and its so hard for me to find a good write up for people like me who know absolutely nothing.. So, i just bought a 5 inch turbo back exhaust and a 3 inch downpipe that im planning on installing here in a few weeks, but ive been reading up on the egr delete options and talking to a few buddies who have done it and I think I'm more confused than when I started.
From what I understand, theres a few options: the full delete, which is a cold side pipe, y bridge, and up pipe.. then theres an option to delete it through a tune, I guess the tune just disables the egr?.. then theres the blocker plate option.. after a bit of time I think ive decided to do the blocker plate, so i guess my question is, is the plate all I need or is there something else that I have to do along with it (besides tuning to remove codes)? also would putting an lly uppipe do the same thing? cause thats only like $100 bucks, but if I did the up pipe would I need to do anything else or would just the up pipe be enough?
Sorry if this sounds dumb, I'm still trying to learn.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
also some people say blocker plates (plural) is there more than one plate if i choose to go that route?

·
Premium Member
2008 Silverado 2500HD, some light mods for reliability and towing.
126 Posts
Doing the same to mine. Depending on what exhaust you purchased you will need a tuner to delete the DPF. If you got a DPF back exhaust then no need. As for the down pipe getting the bolts off the heat shield can be a bear but not horrible. If you drop a plate between the up pipe and the EGR you should not need to get a tuner (I think). If you do a full delete and pull the EGR you will need a tuner, and the hot side pipe to Y bridge connection. You will also need to choose between pulling the passenger side up pipe, bolting in a blocker plate, or welding it closed. Many advise pulling the up pipe is risky because there is a fair chance you will snap a bolt either into the exhaust manifold or the turbo pedestal. Extracting from the exhaust manifold can be a problem because you also run the chance of snapping one of those bolts. If you snap one off in the turbo pedestal you have a whole lot more work to do. Check YouTube for Truck Masters EGR delete or Up pipe install. I am pulling the EGR and using a blocker plate on the Up pipe. Will do the up pipes when I swap the turbo for something a little bigger. By the way I did this on my LLY with no diesel experience but a decent amount of common sense and mechanical know how.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2008 Silverado 2500HD, some light mods for reliability and towing.
126 Posts
By the way there are two different blocker plates. One that slips between the up pipe and the EGR, or one that bolts onto and blocks the up pipe opening to the EGR connection once you remove the EGR. The first will run you about $15, the second is included with most EGR delete kits from several manufacturers. I have seen the full delete kits run from a couple hundred to $600ish.from the bigger commercial brands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts