Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the Egr hose split on me yesterday. Its the tiny one that sits in the center of the engine. My question is can I just get some radiator hose and cut to length. Does anybody know the size? Please help me out, hate it when my truck sits...lol

·
Registered
385 Posts
Any 5/8" hose will work, don't need a pre-bent one. Its a straight shot, make sure it's cut to the correct length and you won't have any issues. Had mine blow out too, made quite the mess. While you are replacing, you should swap out the O-Ring on the thermostat bypass to the EGR cooler, they tend to get brittle with age.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Its a slight upwards shot with the cooler in place. 5/8" radiator hose is flexible enough not to kink. Had to replace this hose before my egr suddenly fell off.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Any 5/8" hose will work, don't need a pre-bent one. Its a straight shot, make sure it's cut to the correct length and you won't have any issues. Had mine blow out too, made quite the mess. While you are replacing, you should swap out the O-Ring on the thermostat bypass to the EGR cooler, they tend to get brittle with age.
Would that be the o-ring (110) in the diagram above. What kind of pliers did you use to get those clamps off? The one I can probably get to but the other looks like a pain. Im going to start to take it off this afternoon.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got to give the hose credit..lasted 9 years on my truck. lol

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
worm clamps?

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,485 Posts
Y'all are talkin' 'bout two different hoses. The OP has a prob with item 107 in the exploded pic, not item 746 with the sharp bend. nono

OP, after you remove the intake tube above, just remove the whole 90EL (item 9) tube from the thermo housing, with the blown hose on it. R&R the short length of hose (& funky clamps) AND plan on replacing the 'O' ring when you re-install the complete tube/hose.

Long reach pliers will get you access to the hose clamps,
16" Long Reach Pliers Set
But the movement/stress you'll place on the tube, it will probably trash the 'O' ring in the process. Just plan on removing it.

As for using bulk on Item 746, yes it will kink if you try and match the same length. Extend the replacement length and the curve/bend won't collapse.

worm clamps?
regular screw clamps, use a 'worm' gear to tighten.

Reactions: biketopia

·
Registered
385 Posts
Y'all are talkin' 'bout two different hoses. The OP has a prob with item 107 in the exploded pic, not item 746 with the sharp bend. nono

OP, after you remove the intake tube above, just remove the whole 90EL (item 9) tube from the thermo housing, with the blown hose on it. R&R the short length of hose (& funky clamps) AND plan on replacing the 'O' ring when you re-install the complete tube/hose.

But the movement/stress you'll place on the tube, it will probably trash the 'O' ring in the process. Just plan on removing it.

As for using bulk on Item 746, yes it will kink if you try and match the same length. Extend the replacement length and the curve/bend won't collapse.

Thank you!!!

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)

regular screw clamps, use a 'worm' gear to tighten.

Now you say take the one end off and then take the pipe with the hose out of the thermostat housing. Can I do that with the intercooler cast pipe in place?

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,485 Posts
Yes, the tube just goes under the EGR manifold.

Remove the bolt (#11) to the right of the alternator, and the bolt (#2) behind the alternator. If you pull the plastic intake tube, the single spring clamp/hose at the EGR cooler is accessible from the top.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Now you say take the one end off and then take the pipe with the hose out of the thermostat housing. Can I do that with the intercooler cast pipe in place?
Yes you can. It's a pain in the butt. Unbolt the aluminum 90 thermostat bypass, remove clamp from the egr cooler side, pull the aluminum 90 out of the hole and pull it and the hose out together. Cut similar length hose, clamp the hose to the 90, push back in and connect to egr cooler, bolt aluminum 90 down.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ok I just tried it at my lunch and I have to come back tomorrow to finish. Bolt 11 I needed a longer extension. But I did get the clamp off where the hose meets the egr. Should have this fix tomorrow. Thanks for all the help. Oh one thing, How much coolant do I need to fill this back up?

·
Registered
385 Posts
ok I just tried it at my lunch and I have to come back tomorrow to finish. Bolt 11 I needed a longer extension. But I did get the clamp off where the hose meets the egr. Should have this fix tomorrow. Thanks for all the help. Oh one thing, How much coolant do I need to fill this back up?
Depends on how long you ran it. Mine was run for 5 minutes pouring out, took 2 gallons.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts