Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi will a bad or dirty EGR valve cause lots of black smoke out the exhaust? My check engine light came on and comes up as a egr code and just today it started to blow lots of black smoke. any feedback would be great thanks

·
Banned
24,083 Posts
Eh no it really shouldnt. You can get the EGR blocker and a finger stick though instead of trying to repair it.

What upgrades do you have? Exhaust? Intake? Both of them will cause your SES light to come on for a EGR code.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Eh no it really shouldnt. You can get the EGR blocker and a finger stick though instead of trying to repair it.

What upgrades do you have? Exhaust? Intake? Both of them will cause your SES light to come on for a EGR code.
hi i have MBRP dual 4" downpipe back exhaust and aem brute force intake why all of the black smoke? it started after i put the intake on. can i get more info on the finger stick and egr blocker thanks

·
Registered
146 Posts
Is that an oiled filter or dry type? If oiled, get some MAF sensor cleaner and clean the sensor. Use only MAF cleaner and nothing else.

·
Banned
24,083 Posts
hi i have MBRP dual 4" downpipe back exhaust and aem brute force intake why all of the black smoke? it started after i put the intake on. can i get more info on the finger stick and egr blocker thanks
Heres the only place that I know that sells it. Just type in "finger".

http://www.kennedydiesel.com/

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
Don't get the fingerstick if you don't want to mess with the MAF sensor wiring. It requires cutting and splicing the MAF wiring which is basically a hack job.

The best way is using a tuner such as quadzilla, PPE, EFI live and get a EGR block off plate.

Sticking or faulty EGR do cause excessive black smoke.

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
Is that an oiled filter or dry type? If oiled, get some MAF sensor cleaner and clean the sensor. Use only MAF cleaner and nothing else.
Use CRC MAF sensor cleaner, it is found at any local auto part stores. Do not use electrical cleaner if the auto part guy tell you to get it, some electrical cleaner are hard on the MAF sensor.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Don't get the fingerstick if you don't want to mess with the MAF sensor wiring. It requires cutting and splicing the MAF wiring which is basically a hack job.

The best way is using a tuner such as quadzilla, PPE, EFI live and get a EGR block off plate.

Sticking or faulty EGR do cause excessive black smoke.
what is efi live?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My truck only seems to smoke once it heats up to operating temp. the other day the engine light just went out and came back on a couple of days later. i have no idea what is going on. Also is the a gasket or some sort of seal between the egr valve and the intake thanks

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
You're better off replacing it.

Or just get a tuner to disable the EGR codes and block off the EGR. No more EGR problem ;)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You're better off replacing it.

Or just get a tuner to disable the EGR codes and block off the EGR. No more EGR problem ;)
when you ar talking about replacing it are you talking about that black electronic plunger thing at the end?

·
yep yep...
7,169 Posts
why test it, buy a 25 dollar blocker plate and stick it in there if it still does it you know thats not it and you're out 25 bucks and 45 minutes of your time.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.