Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite ROTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
08 LMM. How important to have EGT probe? I'm about to go with Edge race CTS and turbo back exhaust. Is stock truck have EGT probe? And what is the differance between "expendeble and nonexpendeble" EGT probe? Thanks

·
saw what you did there
14,297 Posts
yes you need A EGT probe.

the EAS (expandable) probe will allow you to "daisychain" other probes together. Like a turbo timer, water/meth information. (these other probes will be available soon)

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
yes EGT's are the most important thing to watch , when getting on it ..

·
Registered
405 Posts
ha ha brian what no speedo watchin with that high hp quick truck:rof

·
Registered
66 Posts
Yes the stock truck has an EGT probe. 2 of them.
Killerbee, I am new to Duramaxes and have learned a lot from reading info That you have provided, thanks! Now a lot of threads recently, you have posted vague answeres to questions like the one above. Could please expand on the post above? So there are 2 probs on a stock truck, can we get any info from them? What do the stock sensors provide info to? What are your thoughts on aftermarket egt probs? Are these stock probs on all Duramax models? I think these are some of the questions that I and the original poster would like to know. Thanks!

·
Registered
895 Posts
The Edge CTS will take an EGT reading off of the two stock probes we have in our trucks but due to the location of the said probes neither of which are in the mainfold you will not get an accurate reading of the temps. This is why it is suggested to do the aftermarket one.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Thanks for the more detailed answere. Just curious as to what the stock probes are for if the reading is not accurate? Are they for emissions?

Thanks

·
Registered
895 Posts
If you DL the CTS manual there is a write up at the end showing at least on the 07.5 the pre and post probe it is way to far down the line to be use safely for the temp values. After reading the blurbe again I may have missinformed you that your truck is equiped with the probes. I am sure someone willl chime in and correct me.

Later
Phil

·
Ask one to be one
5,660 Posts
Thanks for the more detailed answere. Just curious as to what the stock probes are for if the reading is not accurate? Are they for emissions?

Thanks
The stock probes are only on the LMM. They are for detecting the temp before and after the DOC/DPF.

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
The post refers to the OP's truck.

There are 2 EGT sensors, before and after the dpf. They monitor dpf regeneration temperature as a feedback for the regeneration variables: the intake valve, main timing, and post injection qty as best as I can tell. These are the main variables for controlling regen temperature which is critical to regen effectiveness.

They can also be monitored like any EGT reading. I wasn't intending to be vague, just trying not to be a know-it-all.

·
Registered
177 Posts
What temp should one see when monitoring pre DPF with no DPF intact on an LMM? I do not have an EGT gauge....yet!

Thanks.

·
Slave to the Interwebs
9,976 Posts
Hey KB, do you know if it is possible to move the probes from the DPF to a new exhaust pipe?? I was just curious if you could use EFI to alert you if a high egt problem arises.

·
Slave to the Interwebs
9,976 Posts
What temp should one see when monitoring pre DPF with no DPF intact on an LMM? I do not have an EGT gauge....yet!

Thanks.
Once you dump the DPF the probes are no longer used.

·
Slave to the Interwebs
9,976 Posts
I was just curious. If you could use it as a fail safe kind of like The BD and edge do.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts