Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive done some research on here looking for a safe EGT on a LBZ, found 1480 Degrees to be the answer i see the most. A lot of the answers i see though are people who are towing and are asking for a safe EGT to sit at for awhile.

Now my truck will easily hit 1500 ish during WOT in tune 4 or 5. This is a empty truck also. It will stay there for some time unless i let off the throttle. It kind of worries me i guess to say the least. The tunes are supposedly from Rob, but I have no way of knowing that for sure. In order, i was told these are the tunes, Stock, Light Tow, Heavy Tow, Economy, and Power.

My first question is, how much of a difference does the probe make being centered in the exhaust flow (probe is on pass side). It may be slightly higher or lower than center flow, would this cause 100 degree plus differences? And my next idea is boost leaks, i will have to take a look at her next time Im off of work. Whats the easiest way to find a leak like that?

Thanks!

·
Administrator
16,858 Posts
EGTs will vary based on size of tune, the temperature you can maintain depends on duration to some extent. I bet some guys are over 2000* going down the track.

I wouldn't sustain those temps for long duration, but for a short period of time I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thank you, thats what i was thinking.

One other quick question.

EGR setup, are most of Rob's tunes equipped with the option to not show codes related to the EGR system? Or is this a special request only thing? Just curious as i would love to delete my EGR system, but worried about throwing a code. Will it put the truck into limp mode?

edit-I guess that wasnt a very thought out question from me, since if the EGR codes are deleted from the tune from the get go, and i have an EGR setup, anything that goes wrong with it wouldnt throw a code and i wouldnt know.

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
I would contact Rob and give him the former owners name. He can look the tunes up and tell you what you are actually working with. Would also be the one to modify any tune that you have to tailor your likings.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would contact Rob and give him the former owners name. He can look the tunes up and tell you what you are actually working with. Would also be the one to modify any tune that you have to tailor your likings.

I actually tried that. But since it was done through a shop and not the previous owners name it didn't seem like he could help me. It was done by a guy named Jason Few and Rob said he's tuned many trucks for him.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
You could unplug the egr. If its gonna give a code for it, it should do so in 3 cycles i think. If its fe9, then you could use a code reader to see if it stores any egr codes

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You could unplug the egr. If its gonna give a code for it, it should do so in 3 cycles i think. If its fe9, then you could use a code reader to see if it stores any egr codes
Good idea...ill have to unplug her and see what codes it throws. As long as it doesnt go into limp mode, Im happy.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Do you know if its fe9 emissions? should have fe9 on the glove box build sticker. I believe it wont make a cel if that is the case, but then it wouldnt matter as much if the tunes have egr off, until inspection time depending on your state

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll have to go take a look. No emissions up here

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
If I did not know what tunes were in my ECM I would go to dealer get a reflash then call Rob, I never see 1300 even on the 150 tune or pulling 13k at WOT on heavy tow. Since you have no idea what is changed why would would want that to continue. BtW 1350 continuous is the rating on our turbo.. anything higher is putting the wheel at risk, as a aircraft mechanic you should know what happens during a overtemp

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
I run Rob's tunes and never exceed 1350 on any of my tunes, even towing heavy. The EGT probe needs to be at least 2 inches from the exhaust flange, if not your in the flame propagation and your going to read high.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I talked to an ATP guy once (not Rob or Dustin) and I believe he told me that in reality we could run at 1375 all day long with no trouble and that we could run at 1450 for as long as 5 minutes. Now I definitely don't recommend that but I believe that is what I was told. Any time I'm towing and go over 1200 I'm easing out of the throttle a little and try to never tow over 1300...just for peace of mind.

·
Ask one to be one
5,660 Posts
If you have a way to pull the tunes then you can send them to Rob and he can check and see if his signature is on them.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
That seems pretty high, my truck is an 02 LB7 basically stock with an Edge Juice and towing 12K I dont see my egts over 1150, and on my dads lb7 thats bone stock with efi doesnt go past 1200

1 - 14 of 14 Posts