·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 07 classic is mostly stock with the following exceptions:
Hypertech Max Energy Programer
285/70/16 tires
Edge Insight Guage - installed last week

I have a toy hauler trailer that weighs in at 6800 dry and fully loaded this weekend I figured I was right around 11000lbs.

The issue is that hypertech claims I can run level 3 (90/180) and not worry about damage. However, the Edge is telling me a different story. I noticed the egt's would quickly hit 1350 on a grades and I really had to back out and play around with rpm etc to keep it cool. On level 2 it appears I am safe with most of the temps running under 1300. On flat ground and minor grades level 3 seems to give the biggest bang for the buck, better pulling capability, and better fuel economy. Temps seem OK, but I am new to diesel pickups.

What if anything can I do to use level 3 and still run under the 1350 limit? Is 1350 the danger zone for the diesel/turbo? Am I being silly trying to run level 3 and should stick with level 2? I am sure this basic stuff to most of you but it is new to me. Thank you for your time.

·
Registered
12,050 Posts
you should delete the cat off your truck. that should drop the egt's
AND i would not tow on a 90 hp tune

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is level 2 safe. I think is 50/120? I assume the cat delete is something I can get a kit for and need to do it myself. Will I need to trick the computer with a program or something? Also, will I be able to pass emissions? We are not excempt here with 3/4 ton trucks.

·
Registered
12,050 Posts
Is level 2 safe. I think is 50/120? I assume the cat delete is something I can get a kit for and need to do it myself. Will I need to trick the computer with a program or something? Also, will I be able to pass emissions? We are not excempt here with 3/4 ton trucks.
you can get just a cat delete pipe, and is just a straight 4" pipe and then when emissions comes u can throw the cat back on there.. level two should be safe 50 is about what i run

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, so that unit just bolts and unbolts in place of the cat? Is there anything else I would need to get or just that delete pipe? Any other benefits, power or economy, that come from the delete? What is generally ecepted temp reduction expectation?

Also, why do you recomend not pulling with the 90 tune?

Thanks.

·
Registered
12,050 Posts
you can just use the cat delete pipe or you can get a whole exhaust system and then when it comes time for emissions just take front pipe out
it should drop between 100-300 id say in egts i would think
and dont tow on 90 because that is alot of fuel and fuel makes egts higher

·
Registered
686 Posts
get rid of the cat for sure, and yes keep the tune low to keep the egt's lower,

now dont 4get if ur climbing a hill and ur barley on the gas pedal but the egt's are climbing up to. if u floor it u will get lower egt's remember rpm's is ur freind , the higher rpms the faster the hot air blows out the pipe and lowers ur egt's

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So what do the guys who are running in the 550-650 hp range doing to pull loads without having heat issue's? Is just a matter of how much money you want to spend? I figured 90 hp was freaking tame compared to some.

I did notice the higer RPM and lower gear did cool things off better. The truck has the power to pull a higher gear so I manually shift it and that helps cool the engine and tranny as well. Amazing how much power these LBZ's and allison tranny put to the ground.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Do yourself a huge favor and call Idaho Rob. He is a master tuner and lives right there in Eagle, he also has a shop in Garden City and is a sponsor on this forum. There are many guys on this forum whose trucks he has tuned. I personally wouldn't mess with those off the shelf tuners, they are generic and everyone of these trucks are a little different. He can tell you what you need to do and can make your truck perform better than you can imagine. There is no way an LBZ should be getting to hot or over heating if it's tuned right. Rob's business is tuning these trucks and he is the best. His business is called Adrenaline Truck Performance and his number is 208-484-3670. You won't regret it.

·
Banned
17,251 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Yes get rid of the cat, you will notice a good drop in EGT. I have done most of my mods not for power, but for lowering the EGT's. Right now with the Edge on level 2 and towing 6k I dont ever get above 1,100*, even on long WOT runs or pulling uphill. Level 2 is 60/120. I may try out level 3 and see what my EGT's will hit, but also watch your trany slip and temp. You have a better trans than I do so yours should hold up to the added power without slipping. My Cummins runs alot of timing so I cant lug it with a load, but I can tow a 10k gooseneck in 5th gear at 75mph and only 900* EGT. If I put my foot in it I can burry the gauge past 1600*, just gotta control the right foot acording to the EGT's on that one. Of course its just a toy now and doesnt tow anymore. LOl

·
Registered
931 Posts
A lot of those big HP setups use different turbos / twins / water inj. and they can actually make more power with less heat.

No cat, and an actual downpipe (not just front pipe) would lower your EGT's considerably... But the downpipe is a PITA... the Cat delete is a huge bang for the buck mod!

The other thing is that it's harder on the truck mechanically to be pulling a heavy load with big power (not just EGT concerns etc.)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts