Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite ROTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the crappy Bully Dog Power Pup on my truck. It came with the truck, so I have just left it on there. I run it in the stock mode for obvious reasons, i.e. Bully Dog tunes suck. I like the outlook monitor, but hate the programmer. Went getting on it, I can see 1300*+ on the stock setting. I have cleaned the air filter, put the AFE turbo MP on and stage 2 intake, 4 inch exhaust, and still hit 1300* fairly easily. Anyone have a similar type of experience with their LLY? Does anyone know if there is still some programming changes done to the truck from the Bully Dog even in the stock setting? I find it hard to believe that I can still hit those temps with the mods I have done in a supposedly stock setting?!?!?! Maybe I should remove the program all together and see if that helps? Thanks.:confused:

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
That seems pretty high for stock. How long are you on it before it gets that hot?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not that long really...maybe 5-7 seconds. If I avoid WOT by creeping it up at about 1/2 - 3/4 throttle I can avoid the 1300*+, . But if I giver the onions I can get to 1300 quick. Once I hit about 90 I am getting very close to 1300*.

Another question is when I run the truck at 80 mph on cruise, I am in the mid 900's for EGT on flat ground..does that seem about right. When I go back to Montana, the speed limit is 75, so I run about 80 mph. Just trying to get a handle on where the truck should be running and what changes I could make to get the EGT's down.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
ive had similar issues with my truck, but running an edge on 70 hp. I was told the LLY is one of the hotter running engines, but on mine i always see 1000+ unless i drive like a grandpa

·
Registered
613 Posts
Lifting my truck started me worrying about it.My edge on level 1 going up a incline I see 1300.It has me worried if I ever have to pull something up a steep hill,I'll have to do 35mph.I put on a banks intercooler and bd exhaust manifold hoping it would bring the egts down but it only helped maybe 50-100 degrees.I'm hoping EFI Live with a good tow tune will help but I'm also trying to save for a tranny.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, thanks for the info guys...that makes me feel better. I did not want to chance burning it up when running it 700 miles back home at 75-80 mph (maybe 85 depending on the weather) the whole way. Its nice to have folks to go to for help!!!!

·
yep yep...
7,169 Posts
i usually cruise around 85 no problems since the rebuild, with all the cooling mods, you should be fine

·
Registered
212 Posts
I have the mods in my sig and my EGT with the Edge on LVL3 it maxes just under 1250* at WOT. When towing 5-7k up hills and on LVL2 (tow tune) I max out just under 1200*. I did all the mods in my sig as soon as I bought the truck, and the records function on my edge has logged a max coolant temp of 199*, and that was towing about 14k last July. Overall I guess I got lucky and missed out on the LLY hot running issue??
Cruising unloaded at 75mph with the 325/60/18's is normaly around 650-700*

1 - 12 of 12 Posts