Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 06 duramax with edge juice w/ attitude tuner 4 inch exhaust, turbo down pipe, banks air intake and a full bore exhaust manifold on the driver side.
My question is should I be concerned about EGT temps of 1050 while towing a camper or bobcat?

·
Registered
352 Posts
as long as you dont have it cranked anything over setting 2 i would watch your egts.

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it unless you start holding around 1200 for long periods.

·
Stupid Has The Balls
2,515 Posts
Garrett GT3788VA turbos are rated for 1350 degrees constant duty and can hold 1600 degrees for up to 45 seconds.

I gotta find that spec sheet again so people don't think I'm screwin' with them....

·
Registered
196 Posts
Garrett GT3788VA turbos are rated for 1350 degrees constant duty and can hold 1600 degrees for up to 45 seconds.

I gotta find that spec sheet again so people don't think I'm screwin' with them....
Not sure what you mean by this...I've only seen turbos have a hp rating. High egts will kill pistons, no way would I stay in it for 45 seconds with 1600*.

·
Registered
12,050 Posts
1100 is not high egts my truck towing a 5er is around 900-1100 all the time towing.

·
Registered
755 Posts
i will see up to 1100 to 1150 with no load going up a long grade or hill on level 3 on my edge evo race.. i definatly wouldnt wanna run anything but level one while towing

·
Stupid Has The Balls
2,515 Posts
Not sure what you mean by this...I've only seen turbos have a hp rating. High egts will kill pistons, no way would I stay in it for 45 seconds with 1600*.
I found a spec sheet a while back. Dont remember where I put it though. I wouldnt to comfortable with it either but guys bury a 2000 degree pyrometer by the 1/8th and keep going with many passes and have no issues.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
The "ratings" that he posted are to guide one on how long they can sustain certain temperatures until you start doing damage/melting the turbo.

They, just like the "horsepower ratings," are just guidelines though and should be taken with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
781 Posts
To the OP, you are talking pre turbo, right? Your not one of those guys that has probe in the down pipe?

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Is 2000* safe? Ceretainly not. Have I done it? Yeah, did it do any damage? No.

1000* towing is just fine. BD manifold doesnt do anything for EGT's, towing on astock setting will though.
^ this guy actually knows what he is talking about.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
lol brian.....you should be almost the resident expert on EGT's & trans fluid changes

·
Registered
47 Posts
I run the PPE hot +2 on level 3 when pulling over 10k lbs and reach up to 1400 but can maintain 1000 when the idiots in front of me learn how to drive. I noticed that no one asked where your pyrometer probe is installed. Gauge readings can be up to about 400 degrees different.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
^ yeah someone asked him where it was installed...but he never answered yet

·
Registered
781 Posts
You should be good-esp if you back off every so often-I don't know about the Dmax, but my experience had been that wear on a engine is from both temp and duration so running a little hot isn’t so bad if you back off every now and then. read going up a hill at temp X is ok, but pulling a high profile trailer 80mph for 4 hours at the same time X not so much.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts