Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How hot is too hot when your towing? didn't run my psd over 1200. don't want to melt anything.:blowup

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
i wouldn't think to much of hitting into the 1200 degree range but if you had a chance it wouldn't hurt to let it cool down a little before you went on and if it hits 1400 degrees for only a short period of time i wouldn't get to excited but i wouldn't keep it there very long...i have seen 1350 degrees on my egt gauge for over 5 min.s and never had any trouble...

·
Registered
93 Posts
1200-1300 is as high as i would want to go. Nothing will ruin your day worse than welding your engine together

·
Registered
262 Posts
where do you guys mount your probe? mine is mounted in my exhaust manifold and i can get mine to 1500 without towing a load up a hill. to get it where i want i have to slow down to 55-60 and i feel like a wuss when hybrids are passing me

·
Registered
352 Posts
I say 1600 max, In the exhuast manifold is the most acurate reading.

·
Registered
93 Posts
well, getting up to 1500 degrees going up a hill, or under hard acceleration is only for a short time, i was thinking a continuious temp.

·
Registered
181 Posts
You can run 1250 in the manifold basically all day long without much risk of hurting it. Very short blasts to 1500 wont hurt the overall life, but you dont want to run it there for too long. Aluminum starts to break down at 1450deg so you dont want to run it much past that for very long.:drink

We had an LB7 here that I was drag racing at altitude and at the end of the quarter I was seeing 1700 deg pre-turbo. I was letting it cool down before I shut it off and it warped a head, so be careful with the temps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.