Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Have a good one here to discuss :cool Some diesel and gas owners that I know are running electric fans that replace the stock one run off the engine. Since diesels take forever to warm up especially on those 40 below winter days which are common in Interior Alaska. I would think this is a good idea since you have more control over what temperature it will engage and disengage at; while at the same time I would think it could increase your horsepower a little bit as well as mpg's.

Thoughts good or bad :confused:

·
Registered
192 Posts
It won't warm up any faster. The thermostats are closed, the fan isn't cooling anything in the radiator. It is cooling the intercooler though. Grill cover takes care of all that.

If you idle a lot, then your mpg benefit might kick in. But at normal speeds, the fan isn't a parasitic load, because air is running past it, windmilling the fan anyway. IMO the minute economy benefit, is a small tradeoff for the loss of workload capability. But I can think of one possible exception, a snow plow truck.

If you don't tow or plow, you shouldn't need any fans in AK, just take the factory fan off.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When you say tow, I assume you mean like a big 5th wheel cattle trailer or a more than one place car hauler more than once a week and not just a 4 place snow machine trailer or a 30 ft rv trailer on the weekends. :confused:

Correct

·
Registered
192 Posts
I think you could tow light, under 6,000 lbs, without the fan, unless you have some major grades to cross. As the temp gets up above 20 degrees or so, you would have to consider putting the fan back on to tow.

Over 10,000 lbs and you could leave the fan off under 0 degrees, even with some light grades.

These are just guestimates, and assume no grill cover.

No load, and I think you would be good to 40 or 60 degrees.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think I will leave the fan in place in the summer as it gets in the upper 80's and up and take it off in the fall as it cools down towards winter.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts