Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
if i switch to an electric fan will i get better performance and mpg for the cost of the set up (500.00). i have 2500 / 05 chevy hd duramax lly 4x4 auto.

·
Registered
352 Posts
it might but on a diesel I dont really think they even know they are driving the fan, I mihgt be wrong but thats my 2 cents

·
Hi, I'm Earth. Have we met?
3,162 Posts
I would say no, it has been proven that the lly's cooling system is not capable of doing its job whet the trucks are worked hard. and i dont think an electric fan will move enough air to help. Lots of guys have been working on overheating fixes forthese trucks and the only thing that has worked so far is the addition of another small radiator after the stocker!!! an electric fan might free up a few hp but i dont think the other effects it could cause would be worth it!!

Later
Caleb

·
Registered
352 Posts
maybe a cooler thermostat?

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Flexalight claims a 2 mpg inclrase and 27hp freed up by going to their dual electric fans. They flow like 6200 cfm. I think it would be a good idea. I am looking into customizing an kit for my dodge.

I would say that if the cooling system is not capable then electric fans couldn't hurt. If anything, it would help reomve a large load against the motor, thus reducing the amount of heat it builds.

I think we are going to install a set on a customers 05 next month. If we do, i'll do a write up on it. He is currently having the issue of it getting hot, and the fan clutch engaing at 70mph and just draggin the motor down.

·
Registered
73 Posts
How much do you tow? From what I have read they don't recommend them if you do alot of towing.

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
You will lose cooling ability with electric fans. As far as load on the engine; the fans draw 38 amps.:rolleyes: Your engine will stumble when you hit the airconditioning button. Better have some good batterys.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Snake Oil

I tried converting a clutch fan to a dual electric setup on a 4L Cherokee once.
, used flex Fans, Highest cfm made for their size, did everything as per instructions, and it absolutely sucked compared to clutch fan, I will never do this again. And it does take a heavy amp load. Any performance or mileage benefit would be negated by the higher amp load on the alternator.

Thats just my 2 Cents.

·
Registered
73 Posts
For guys running this be vary carefull. The fuse holder is a POS. We had to quit running Casper the other day because it fried :help :mad:

·
Registered
20 Posts
From what I've heard if you tow more than 10,000 lbs or more don't even bother. As well the Ally runs hotter. These fans have had electrical issues with thwm as well, to the point of guys just about loosing their trucks. Not worth it to save a little money on mpg or noise.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Not worth it to save a little money on mpg or noise.
I agree with you. Id hate to install a set of those fans then end up towing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts