Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 2006 LBZ I have no cat (purchased this way) and run EFI Live from Idaho Rob.
Currently in WA I'm not required to get emissions done for the truck.

Looking at Idaho's emission testing it appears I will need to get emissions testing done every other year. Does anyone know if this means I need to go buy a stock CAT and have it re-added to the truck in order to pass?

I'm hoping this is not the case, but looking for clarification if anyone lives in the Treasure Valley area.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hmmm... I moved from Texas to Idaho and nothing was said about any sort of inspections or emissions when I registered and titled my 2006 here. I was even able to pay for 2 years of registration.

I suspect maybe, like Texas, only the major counties/cities require emissions. I'm out in the boonies in Bear Lake County. I'll see what I can find online.

Reactions: darkonion

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm... I moved from Texas to Idaho and nothing was said about any sort of inspections or emissions when I registered and titled my 2006 here. I was even able to pay for 2 years of registration.

I suspect maybe, like Texas, only the major counties/cities require emissions. I'm out in the boonies in Bear Lake County. I'll see what I can find online.
This will be in Canyon county and from what I read, they passed emissions controls in 2008 .

·
Registered
30 Posts
Well crap. Yeah, you're going to have some sort of emissions test according to the Canyon County DMV. Either OBD diagnostics, or a snap acceleration test. The website says which test depends on how the vehicle was equipped when built for the period between 1997 and 2007. And it also mentions a visual inspection.

----------
Diesel vehicles covered under the program are tested by the OBD method or a snap acceleration test using a smoke meter at the end of the exhaust pipe. A visual inspection of the emission control components is conducted on all vehicles inspected.
----------

The Modified Snap Acceleration (MSA) test is for older diesel-powered vehicles. The emissions analyzer will utilize an opacity meter to measure the density of smoke emitted from the vehicle’s tailpipe.

·
515 Posts
Diesel Emissions is a sniffer test measuring soot %. You can't exceed 40%...

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not worried about failing the sniffer test, more the visual aspect of it.
Going to keep it registered in WA for the short term and will talk to ATP and Rob after I move.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
515 Posts
You'll be fine. I witnessed a Cummins rolling coal during the snap test and he passed...

·
Registered
2007 classic silverado
32 Posts
You still have to pass a visual I think. When I had my emission test they still stick a mirror under the truck to visually check for the cat. Ada and Canyon county only.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You still have to pass a visual I think. When I had my emission test they still stick a mirror under the truck to visually check for the cat. Ada and Canyon county only.
Which means I need to buy a CAT....
Wonder if I can put a "fake" one over to make it look like it's legit.

·
515 Posts
My truck is running the stock cat and I'm pushing 565hp on DSP #5.

·
Registered
2007 classic silverado
32 Posts
Which means I need to buy a CAT....
Wonder if I can put a "fake" one over to make it look like it's legit.
Or get a junk yard one and hollow it out. To me it's not worth it, but I'm pretty sure you have to have what looks like a cat. At least in Ada and Canyon county.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I took some v band clamps and a stainless steel cat and made for easy in and out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: DAVe3283
1 - 14 of 14 Posts