Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This weekend when coming back down from the mountains of AZ I was towing a mild load of 9k and experienced this sequence of prompts thru the dash and the check engine sign illuminated. It would run the error script three times only while under load up hill but downhill under exhaust break had no issues. I stopped briefly to do a walk around and noticed the truck was put into "REGEN". I was driving around 50-65 depending on the grade ( Roughly 6200' elevation at 30-40 degrees ). I did not lose power once and every prompt regardless of how far I had driven gave the same distance until failure. I have 29% DEF fluid remaining in my tank so it did not run dry and I have plenty to warrant longer than 175 Miles to failure. Truck has 40k miles.

This morning the Check engine is off and no warnings under load regardless of how much I push the skinny pedal.

I do plan on getting an oil change at the dealership as I am due in 400 miles and I will show them my video of the error and have them run diagnostics.

Is this sign of potential DPF failure? Before leaving I did idle for ~30+/- minutes while we loaded up the last of our gear prior to departure so maybe the colder temperature clogged the DPF?

Anyone experience this before?

Attachments

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I guess the photos are hard to see because of sizing. In sequence order x3;

1- Normal dash
2-"SERVICE: Emission Systems"
3-"SERVICE: See Owner's Manual Now"
4-"SERVICE: 175 Miles Until 65 MPH Max Speed"
5-"SERVICE: 1194 Miles Until 65 MPH Max Speed"

·
Registered
6,484 Posts
I suspect you bought some of that new ”low emmisson" bio fuels. It causes the DPF not to burn hot enough during regen. Try getting some different fuel in the truck first.

This is more evidence to My theory Far western states mandating fuel that can cause diesel owners thousands in repairs.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There actually might be some legitimacy to that statement. I religiously fuel all of my vehicles with Chevron with zero issues but while on this trip we had to stop at a "Speedway" station because of ease of access for trailers. This is my first time ever doing so and I filled up 1/2 tank. I will look into what type of Diesel they have at the pumps. Thank you!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just updating to close out thread for anyone else who experiences the same issue. From the diagnostics and troubleshooting done at the dealership yesterday the issue was the 'DEF tank level sensor'. the service report reads;

" 39985 DEF TANK LEVEL SENSOR 2 incorrect 4029800 2.20 performed OBD2 test - P21AB DEF Tank level sensor code - Performed system check - Checked for damage - No damage - Test resistance between ground circuit terminal 4 and terminal 6 - Resistance at 2 OHMS - Needs DEF tank level sensor - Removed DEF tank - Replaced DEF tank reservoir assembly - Reinstalled DEF tank - Retest OK "

This repair took 4 hours and was roughly $600.00, luckily at 40k miles on the truck these repairs were covered under warranty.

Thanks for the help everyone!

·
Premium Member
3,327 Posts
There actually might be some legitimacy to that statement. I religiously fuel all of my vehicles with Chevron with zero issues but while on this trip we had to stop at a "Speedway" station because of ease of access for trailers. This is my first time ever doing so and I filled up 1/2 tank. I will look into what type of Diesel they have at the pumps. Thank you!
FWIW, I use Speedway up and down the east coast all of the time and never had an issue with bad fuel. All Speedway fuel that I have used is 40 cetane.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: tmcdrwww

·
Premium Member
1,877 Posts
Welcome to the beginning. At least it didn’t leave you stranded hundreds of miles away from home going 5mp with your family and 10k behind you. Don’t mind me, just bitter.

Really tho I’m glad it was all taken care of without a traumatic experience.

Reactions: tmcdrwww

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, I will admit that I was not overly joyed when I saw the Check Engine hit. Luckily I didn't experience the 5MPH crawl of shame with this dragging behind me.

As a side note, I did experience such pleasure in a 2013 JK Rubicon Unlimited that had its Total Integrated Power Module blow out locking me into Limp mode (4L) on a fire road outside of Show Low, AZ on Christmas week in 20" of snow. Loaded down with my Wife, Dogs and Firearms we had no choice but to sputter 14 hrs home in the shoulder. It's safe to say we don't own that vehicle anymore! 'dunno;

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,877 Posts
Oh WOW, I couldn’t imagine 14 hours of fuming like I can’t believe this...

So much for unlimited, huh.

These electronics can do some incredible things but ‘ain’t nothing for free’ 🧐

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
My truck gave the exact same sequence of messages when my def tank ran dry after the sensor stuck in the “full” position. Truck thought it still had plenty def on tap, nox sensors said something was wrong, truck crapped its pants and threatened me with limp mode. Dropped it off at the dealer the next morning and they eventually fixed it under warranty, after first blaming “contaminated def” (not covered by warranty) then the injector, then finally figured out the level sensor was stuck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts