Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys my truck is up for an emissions test this year before I can get my tags and the previous owner had removed the cat. Should I give it a go and see if they will pass it ?
Or does anyone in the Bay Area have and exhaust w/ cat I could borrow?
Thanks for your input.:help

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Why will I never live in California?

Free bump, you will probably need a cat. If you chance it without the cat then definitely take that juice box off because I doubt it's going to help you at all and also make sure you're air filter is really clean. That should help you to decrease the amount of soot it spews out.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Is there a diesel performance shop in the area? If so, ask them who they'd recommend for the test. I went to a guy who didn't even look under the truck when he did mine.....

·
Registered
962 Posts
Hm, they don't do sniffer test for diesel, only visual. As long as your truck doesn't smoke then you're good.

·
Premium Member
1,972 Posts
Hm, they don't do sniffer test for diesel, only visual. As long as your truck doesn't smoke then you're good.
No sniffer test, but they did look for the Kitty on my visual inspection

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hey guys my truck is up for an emissions test this year before I can get my tags and the previous owner had removed the cat. Should I give it a go and see if they will pass it ?
Or does anyone in the Bay Area have and exhaust w/ cat I could borrow?
Thanks for your input.:help
you have a '04 and you have to go into emissions? i live in wisconsin and diesels dont have emissions till '07 is cali really that anal?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
you have a '04 and you have to go into emissions?
I have an '03 and I guess I have to do emissions, it says so on my reg renewal.
I moved back to Cali 3.5 yrs ago and didn't know that I would have to go through emission with this rig. I bought the truck used here in Cali and it did not have a cat when I bought it.
Was there anyone that had something I could borrow? :cookoo[1]:

·
I'm That Guy...
16,690 Posts
A good recommendation posted the other day was to go into a local diesel performance shop and ask them for a recommendation. They may know of a smog shop to work with.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I've got an 03 cali truck and took my cat off after I bought it and brought it back to Chicago... Make me an offer on it

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
The LB7 trucks -non california-- did not come with a CAT. If it was purchased from another state, you are not required to add a CAT for use in Calif. . Does it have the engine driven vacuum pump-? That is one way to tell, as it was on CA vehicles to operate the EGR system. Does it have the emission label under the hood-?

·
Registered
94 Posts
The LB7 trucks -non california-- did not come with a CAT. If it was purchased from another state, you are not required to add a CAT for use in Calif. . Does it have the engine driven vacuum pump-? That is one way to tell, as it was on CA vehicles to operate the EGR system. Does it have the emission label under the hood-?

Good post! :thumb

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes this is a Cali truck, no it does not have the decal on the air box, yes it has a vacuum pump. I solved my problem by reinstalling a cat in it today. I don't want to draw this how thing out and fail. I read somewhere that every time you take a vehicle in they report back to the state regardless if you pass or fail and knowing this state I don't want my truck on a shit list that someone create up in the capitol.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
74 Posts
That is smart ... you want to try everything you can to pass the first time ... because every time you take it in it auto sends the report to the state office ... even the tech cant stop the process... i would also put your tuner back to stock and remove any trace of any aftermarket upgrades that are not "carb" aproved... for me i have to put a stock exhaust and intake back on and set my ppe back to stock ... LEAVE THE TUNER AT HOME .... just in case so you dont accidentally leave it some were visual ... all the test is a visual and some do a few snap throttle tests to see for smoke ... gauges are fine they can not fail you for that since all that is for is keeping an eye on parameters of your vehicle if you have a digital one tho like a cts monitor or something along the lines of that then remove from vehicle ... as long and you are smart about it and think before you take it in you will pass ... it is a serious joke ... i know guys with 600+ hp trucks that are passing every day ... the guys with twins are a bit screwed unless they find a shop that will fly under the radar

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
Good thinking, have it look as stock as possible.

Sometimes if a vehicle does not pass-- it is flagged as a "Gross Polluter" and then you have to take the vehicle to a Referee for the emission test.
[Don't ask me how I know-LOL]

·
Registered
74 Posts
you either need to fail my a large margin or fail multiple times in order to become a gross polluter most times it must fail multiple times ... you can also get a temp reg in cali when you tags are up for i believe its either a month or two in order to give you time to get what ever it is needed to be fixed to pass smog

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
Yes, you are correct! Been there!

·
Registered
74 Posts
trust me been there a many of times and have had 2 gross polluters lol .. when i was younger they were my dd/track car and didnt want to have to take it in and pay for my stock tune to be loaded then have to take it back cause my tuner was an hour away and it was a 100 bucks to do the 2 loads plus fuel when you 18 its not cheap lol so i would stuff my stock exhaust that was modded with 3 cats lol and a crap carb legal intake to try for better air flow then stock intake and some times would pass and some times wouldnt lol ... live and learn

·
"THEEPASUCKS"
1,433 Posts
I thought Cali was the strick emission state? I smogged my truck today and they ran it on a Dyno, sniffed the exhaust, checked the gas cap, looked under the hood and checked for the Cat and DPF. The tech told me if these trucks come in without a Cat they won't pass the visual.

So the tech hops in my truck to pull it onto the dyno. Reaches down to release the emergency brake and pulls my Edge OBDII cable out while the truck was running!

I didn't realize how slow and quite a stock Duramax is until I drove it down to the Smog station. Wow what a slow pig! Everything is going back on tomorrow!

·
Premium Member
1,972 Posts
I thought Cali was the strick emission state? I smogged my truck today and they ran it on a Dyno, sniffed the exhaust, checked the gas cap, looked under the hood and checked for the Cat and DPF. The tech told me if these trucks come in without a Cat they won't pass the visual.

So the tech hops in my truck to pull it onto the dyno. Reaches down to release the emergency brake and pulls my Edge OBDII cable out while the truck was running!

I didn't realize how slow and quite a stock Duramax is until I drove it down to the Smog station. Wow what a slow pig! Everything is going back on tomorrow!

I guess the inspection requirements have changed. When I smogged my truck last year, they just looked for the Kitty, Looked under the hood for a few seconds, did a quick snap test on the throttle looking for smoke, and that was it....No Dyno or sniffer in exhaust....

·
Registered
74 Posts
did you get your smog done in cali or NV ... i see you live in NV thats why i ask ...

i have to get mine done when i return at the end of oct ( well thats if my truck is out of the shop lol... i dont think it will pass with smoky injectors) i am just gana go a by a stock exhaust of craigslist and store it in attic for when i need it

1 - 20 of 25 Posts