Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for some recommendations on good quality trailer manufacturers for car hauling. I know about the main brands (Wells Cargo, Haulmark, Pace, etc.) but am trying to avoid paying for the brand name.

What I would like is a high quality trailer, including things like tubular steel frame (vs. c-channel steel), welded side doors (vs. bolt ons), single piece roof, etc.

Can anyone recommend a less well known brand of trailer that has all or most of the quality of a Wells Cargo without the brand name premium? (Ideally with delivery facilities on the west coast).

Specifically, I'm looking for a 8.5 x 20 bumper pull enclosed cargo trailer. A Wells Cargo autoWagon AW2024 runs around $9k - $10k. I'd like to find something for considerably cheaper than that (like ~$5k) If that's not a reasonable expectation, then what price should I expect to pay for that level of quality in a trailer without paying for the brand name? (and dealer markup)

Thanks.

·
Registered
235 Posts
United makes a nice trailer if you get racer special. i have a 8.5 by 20 '

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks like a nice trailer. Do you know what the starting price is for those trailers? (minus options like AC, etc.)

·
This space for rent!
316 Posts
Personally I wouldn't pay for a new trailer like that. As everything trailer values drop like a stone and then some. If you are trying to find the best bang for the buck I would say go out and find one that is a year or few older. Typically those can be had for much much less then new and often times with added extras that you wouldn't normally get because of cost. Pick a name brand pace, hallmark etc- then do some research on used pricing. Remember you get what you pay for and it couldn't be stressed enough in cargo trailers.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As everything trailer values drop like a stone and then some.
I started out thinking the same, but it doesn't seem to hold quite as true as with cars/trucks. Trailers seem to hold their value a lot better. I would love to find a used Wells Cargo with 3-4 years under its belt and pick that up for 50% - 60% of the cost of new, but I've had *zero* luck finding that so far. Maybe I'm just not looking in the right place?

·
This space for rent!
316 Posts
Try looking at traderonline.com and then of course craigs list. I have seen them around my area for about 30% less and more of new cost only a couple years old. The other great source are the race car guys, Kart racing etc. They are always seem to be "Upgrading" trailers and going bigger. Again, the benefit to them is that alot of times they come with cabinets, e-track, and various other additions that a brand new trailer wouldn't have. That being said the cost will reflect those options and may not appear to be largely discounted. I will take a look around here and see if I can find anything just for cost comparison and let you know later.

·
Premium Member
26,485 Posts
Trailers do hold value differently...they'll drop initially from new, then just hang there in value as the years roll by.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
FYI, Pace is out of business.

I did months of research and ended up with United ULT, custom built to my specs in Elkhart, IN. Very happy with it.

·
This space for rent!
316 Posts
I do like the solid sides w/out the rivits. Makes a huge diff when waxing/polishing. My Pace has that inside and out and what a diff and time it can make during cleanup. Great looking trailer!!

I do notice the exalizer bars- I dunno about you but I notice a huge diff when I run mine vs not. they were a great investment!

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Thanks. Agreed, the rivets are a huge eyesore, especially the galvanized ones when they start to run rusty color down the trailer.

·
This space for rent!
316 Posts
Thanks. Agreed, the rivets are a huge eyesore, especially the galvanized ones when they start to run rusty color down the trailer.
especially a pain to get the polish and way off! Nice choice and again great looking trailer!:thumb

·
Registered
104 Posts
Get a copy of the NHRA and IHRA weekly mag/newspaper. Most decent sized bookstores have it. Look in the back in the ads. Always jumbo deals on trailer that have been "romanced" with accessories. Now's the season to be looking. I drag a Featherlite 5th wheel. Yes a 5th wheel, not a gooseneck. I'll never go back. Pricey? Yes. Worth it? No question. Yes, the price of admission is higher, but I've had this for over a year and have been offered $4K more than I paid for it used. No I'm not saying what I paid but it was 5 figures. Featherlite makes every sort of trailer, even open. Did I say it was worth it?

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
If you want one to last get a featherlite or a Exiss , any steel trailer for anything but hobby will not live, but get either a solid FRP side or a riveted trailer NO SCREWS!!!! look for wood floors with plywood not particle board and if its plywood treated wood. Look at the lights and wiring ( no scotchlocks and crimp connectors ) cheap is not good unless you garage it and use it about 5/6 thousand miles a year. This is just a opinion but I have been hauling cars for 30 years and know what works.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
cheap is not good unless you garage it and use it about 5/6 thousand miles a year.
Thanks, I appreciate the feedback. This is, indeed, a hobby trailer and 5000 miles per year is on the top end of what I'd expect to put on it. I ended up purchasing a mid-grade Interstate Cargo trailer. It seems well-built and there are several examples around SoCal (where we're moving) of trailers that are 10+ years old, so I'm optimistic.

Oh, and we do plan to keep it garaged as well.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Klieber, Good choice Interstate is one of the best steel trailers out there , if you garage it and use it that many miles it will last a long time, Featherlite and Exiss are real pricey but they hold the resale well, Interstate is reasonable and will hold value better than alot. Check for undercoat these trailer hate a wet floor from the underside, any real good under coat will seal the water and chemicals out ( even CA/OR/WA) are now using chemicals in winter. Good luck, if you ever need parts a place called Sixroblee's has everything youll ever need.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts