Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone heard when GM will be "fixing" the recall to remove the heater cord on the Duramax engines? I have the 2018 3500 Denali, and the dealer removed the cord, so now I don't have access to the heater when we get cold temps, and it's around the corner...Yoe would think that they would have a "fix" for the recall...It just pisses me off that I paid for this option, and they just literally cut the cord at the dealership...

·
Registered
140 Posts
A few weeks ago I had called GM Canada and they assured me I would be receiving a letter in 'a few weeks' to book an appt to get this fixed. It has now been a few weeks and have not received the letter.

Last week I did have the truck in due to a CEL that turned out to be a bad glow plug - the service advisor told me he thought they would have something 'soon'.

I'm with you about being pissed off - this is not new technology...

If I don't have the letter by next week I will call again - stay tuned

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The problem is also, that they did this recall on my truck BACK IN JULY! Why the hell announce and do a recall if you do not have a fix for it?

Keep us posted

·
Registered
232 Posts
The problem is also, that they did this recall on my truck BACK IN JULY! Why the hell announce and do a recall if you do not have a fix for it?

Keep us posted
:) I guess when the truck catches fire because of the faulty cord and burns down a convent full of retired nuns you will pay GM's legal bill? :)

Think about your statement. It makes no sense.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I traded my Duramax yesterday and pick up a 2020, 1500, 6.2L gas burner, AT4 on November 1. That solves the block heater problem, although that had nothing to do with trading.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My statement makes complete sense...you don't just do a recall, and say, "well, we'll figure something out later..." If you know that there is an issue, fix the damn thing at the same time. This is not a complex issue...these have been on diesel trucks for a while. These engineers get paid well to design vehicles and such...so, fix it or don't charge customers for items that you don't intend to stand behind.

·
Registered
232 Posts
My statement makes complete sense...you don't just do a recall, and say, "well, we'll figure something out later..." If you know that there is an issue, fix the damn thing at the same time. This is not a complex issue...these have been on diesel trucks for a while. These engineers get paid well to design vehicles and such...so, fix it or don't charge customers for items that you don't intend to stand behind.
Well if you do not understand this then it will do no good to try and explain it to you. HAS TO DO WITH LIABILITY! GM has prior knowledge and if they did nothing and it was proved they DID know and took no action then PUNITIVE DAMAGES would be exorbitant. Now do you get it? :) SMH.

"you don't just do a recall, and say, "well, we'll figure something out later..."" OH and BTW might read up on the law lol and understand when a recall is required and exactly what.

Going to help you out here. Read and learn. Specifically in bullet 9 in the Examples of what would require a Recall being Safety Related it is mentioned. "•Wiring system problems that result in a fire or loss of lighting."

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/recalls/recallprocess.cfm

·
Registered
895 Posts
I agree but it’s been a year or so now. A block heater isn’t that fricking complicated. They need a replacement now. Not for me I live in Florida. But I paid for the thing. It should work. The next owner in 15 years may live in Montana.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I agree but it’s been a year or so now. A block heater isn’t that fricking complicated. They need a replacement now. Not for me I live in Florida. But I paid for the thing. It should work. The next owner in 15 years may live in Montana.
Did some looking into mine which is a 2020 BUT was told by the tech they are the same for the last several years. They have an internal thermostat even speaks to it in the manual. Heater will not come on until ambient is below 0 degrees F. Do not get into areas that get much below 10 but you never know.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Listen Judge Judy...I'm not talking about the legal crap...I'm talking about these engineers who design this stuff...Is it so hard for them to design a fix?? I understand a recall, but GD-it, fix the f***ing thing already...don't give me some legal bs...get the job done, or go work for someone else...

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
while i completely agree that it is ridiculous that a cord, thats been working on the duramax platform for 19 years now is apparently this hard to fix on this truck, i will say that the decision to cut the cords rather than cause fires was the correct decision, and i think that if you found yourself on the loosing end of a house fire because of it, you would likely be quite upset with GM for not issuing the recall were the situation reversed. Now, again ill say that its totally and completely unacceptable to have taken this long to design a power cord..... but that is not whats being discussed. issuing the recall prior to a repair was the right decision to make for the safety of the consumer.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This is getting blown way out of proportion...I UNDERSTAND THE PURPOSE OF THE RECALL...it's the FIX or REPAIR that I have an issue with...

enough said...

·
Registered
232 Posts
Listen Judge Judy...I'm not talking about the legal crap...I'm talking about these engineers who design this stuff...Is it so hard for them to design a fix?? I understand a recall, but GD-it, fix the f***ing thing already...don't give me some legal bs...get the job done, or go work for someone else...
Your Words Not Mine. :)

"Why the hell announce and do a recall if you do not have a fix for it?"

Words do have meaning. There you go. Have a nice day! :laugh: Done with this subject. Maybe someone was drinking I do not know.

·
Registered
300 Posts
GM Program #:
N192264210
Date Issued:
Oct 15, 2019
Program Title:

Enable Diesel Engine Block Heater - Exp. 11/30/2021

Program Description:

Certain 2017 - 2019 model year Chevrolet Silverado 2500/3500 and GMC Sierra 2500/3500 vehicles, equipped with the 6.6l Duramax diesel engine (RPO L5P) and optional engine-block heater cord, may have a condition in which the block heater cable function was disabled.

Repair Description:

Dealers will replace the engine block heater and cord.

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
GM Program #:
N192264210
Date Issued:
Oct 15, 2019
Program Title:

Enable Diesel Engine Block Heater - Exp. 11/30/2021

Program Description:

Certain 2017 - 2019 model year Chevrolet Silverado 2500/3500 and GMC Sierra 2500/3500 vehicles, equipped with the 6.6l Duramax diesel engine (RPO L5P) and optional engine-block heater cord, may have a condition in which the block heater cable function was disabled.

Repair Description:

Dealers will replace the engine block heater and cord.
For some reason I just don't like that word …"certain".....I have a 2019 took delivery on June 25 2019... mine is not on the recall and there is no cord ...not cut … no cord

·
Registered
6 Posts
Received my recall notice May 2019, here it is Feb 2020 and still no part available. Info I received from GM:

Hi, Mark. At this time, parts and remedy are only available in the following states: Alaska, Colorado, Idaho, Maine, Michigan, Minnesota, Montana, North Dakota, New Hampshire, New York, South Dakota, Vermont, Wisconsin, & Wyoming, Connecticut, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Massachusetts, Nebraska, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Utah, & Washington. We are now working to expedite the release of parts in the remaining states. We apologize for any inconvenience caused. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please let us know.

Deanna L.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts