Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What does everyone do with your engine block heater cord? Where do you put it to where you don't have to open the hood every night to plug it in? On my 03 the cord is too short to reach out the front, it will reach out the passenger side but i have to close the hood on it.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Mine is poked out between the grille and the headlight, it barely reaches

Sent from my ADR6350 using AutoGuide App

·
Administrator
8,818 Posts
i have a junction box (room to plug 4 things into) mounted under my bumper

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Mine has all kinds of play. Just put the cap on it and leave it sit out there.

·
Ask one to be one
5,660 Posts
When I lived in Idaho I left it hang out the front. You have to get creative about the routing but it will reach.

Now that I live in AK I have a 4 way junction block that it plugs into along with my battery tender oil pan and trans pan heater.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Mine is tucked behind the passenger side parking lense with enough slack to pull it out between the lense and the grille.

·
Its just a worktruck
13,908 Posts
When I used to plug it in I had the cord sticking out through the grill. There is plenty of cord once you unwrap the tape and take it out of the loom.

·
Registered
7,819 Posts
i cut the loom back a little bit with a utility knife, be extra careful not to cut anything but loom.

from there i routed it under the airbox, up, down through the little cavity between the radiater and the grill, got a coathander and pulled the plug through the very top left honeycomb. The cord is ziptied there and one or two other places to keep it in place.

No problems so far. ECT is about 130 when i go to turn the key.. daddy likey

·
Premium Member
1,568 Posts
Good thread!

Mine is long enough to hang out between my grille and bumper. I have a couple buddys, one with a dmax and one with a PSD got one of the plugs like off an rv or a boat. Cut a hole in the bumper and mount it there, all you have to do is flip the cover up and plug in. Still deciding if i want to deface my bumper slightly to do this.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Mine is routed up to the radio antenna, sitting in the truck before I leave it is easy to double check it is unplugged. It is easy to reach and plug in too.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
great thread.... never knew you could cut the loom back to get more length..

and my dumb ass has been popping the hood every night.....

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Fixed it! I cut the loom back it was taped up at the beginning of the loom. Seems kinda stupid for gm to tape it up like that. Anyhow I know have plenty of cord to hang it out the front now.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Good thread!

Mine is long enough to hang out between my grille and bumper. I have a couple buddys, one with a dmax and one with a PSD got one of the plugs like off an rv or a boat. Cut a hole in the bumper and mount it there, all you have to do is flip the cover up and plug in. Still deciding if i want to deface my bumper slightly to do this.
I did what your buddys did. Go to bass pro, cabelas, etc and get a on board charger inlet. (boating section) I had to add on to my factory cord to be able to reach where i wanted to mount it. No biggie. Just drill a hole and hook up the wires. Its barely noticeable and handy as hell. Ill try and get a pic tomorrow if you want so u can get a better idea.

·
Premium Member
1,568 Posts
I did what your buddys did. Go to bass pro, cabelas, etc and get a on board charger inlet. (boating section) I had to add on to my factory cord to be able to reach where i wanted to mount it. No biggie. Just drill a hole and hook up the wires. Its barely noticeable and handy as hell. Ill try and get a pic tomorrow if you want so u can get a better idea.
Yea, i'd like to see where ya put it

·
Registered
327 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
676 Posts
mine is routed to radio antenna. I just zip tied it to the base of it and sits there all year long, no bending over required lol

·
Premium Member
1,568 Posts
Here ya go. Pics are kinda crappy. Managed to get them between rain drops.
Nice Greg, thats a good clean spot! Anybody have a pic of where they mounted theirs on their classic sierra? Trying to think where it would look ok

·
Registered
676 Posts
zip tied to the tow hook, easy enough to move if I need the hook.

·
MM2(SS) Steven Lowery
78 Posts
I had mine routed down by the front tire but then routed it up and zip tied it to the hood hinge and i dont shut the hood all the way. Tried to route it through the grill but it didnt look long enough for me to do it that way.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just got my 08 and can't find the cord. Do they come installed on all Dmax's or do I need to have one installed. If it is already istalled, where do I look to find it.
Thanks,
Jon

1 - 20 of 74 Posts