Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I haven’t had time to see if high idle is set but I did find out the remote start won’t work if the heater is plugged up. Guess to keep from burning it out maybe

·
Registered
5,865 Posts
Did you have the hood cracked open to get the cord hooked up?

If so, that's why the remote start won't work.

(should work plugged in, if you feed the cord out somewhere else so the hood can be latched)

·
Registered
289 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Did you have the hood cracked open to get the cord hooked up?

If so, that's why the remote start won't work.

(should work plugged in, if you feed the cord out somewhere else so the hood can be latched)
Hell yeah never thought of that lol thanks

·
Registered
37 Posts
i plug my lbz anytime its under 32 degrees over night, i use a timer for mine block heater cause as soon as it plugged in its working and not thermostacticly controlled.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Does anyone have an idea what temperature the block heater will maintain the engine coolant at? And can anyone confirm or not if there is an ambient temp thermostat to limit the block heater from functioning above a certain air temp?

I work shifts, and after a night shift I like my truck to be warm quickly. I just keep it plugged in. After last nights shift, average air temps was low 40s all night. ECT was 83 degrees after 6 hours on heater. So I am pretty confident it was not heating, as that is normally (+/- 5 degrees) the temp of the ect after a shift and not plugged in. Breakers not popped, and power to plug is good. A coworkers cummins seems to maintain the ECT at 130 degrees after being plugged in. I will see after 12 hours tonight if it is any warmer. Just wanted to ask if anyone monitors the ect after being plugged in.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Never mind. After a little more research on the forums, and some tracing on the truck I found my heater element. Using the heat gun, I found the brass nut on my heater to be roughly 134 degrees F, after 5 hours of being plugged in. So i will monitor ect over the next few months. I guess the duramax just doesnt maintain as high of a temp as the cummins. I will continue to remote start, and enjoy warm seats when I get in. Maybe I will look into adding a oil pan heater, help lower those 120 pound oil pressures on start up.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Does it hurt to plug truck in when come back home from running? Just too keep it warm for next morning or will it hurt something

·
Registered
5,865 Posts
Does it hurt to plug truck in when come back home from running? Just too keep it warm for next morning or will it hurt something
Just your wallet, but unless your seeing frequent temps below 0*F you don't need to.

These trucks are not like some of the older hard to start mechanical injection pump systems were.

It will start easily and happily at least down to 0*F.

Remote start and elevated idle are your friends.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts