Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We regularly go up and down a steep mountain road. Our 2011 truck used to make no noise going downhill with the engine brake on, you could just feel it slowing the truck down. Now it makes a rumbling sound which appears to be coming from the top of the engine. If I turn the engine brake off no noise. I guess the turbo is the engine brake? Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
5,057 Posts
Possibly a vanes stuck?

Do you have a monitor so you can see your vane position while driving and when Turbo Brake activates? If you do when it first activates vanes should go to 100% and then decrease til the truck downshifts then it goes back to 100% in the lower gear and repeats the process.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry for not getting back sooner. I have been real busy. It seems that it stays louder longer
the heaver the load. your info makes sense

·
Premium Member
26,484 Posts
We regularly go up and down a steep mountain road. Our 2011 truck used to make no noise going downhill with the engine brake on, you could just feel it slowing the truck down. Now it makes a rumbling sound which appears to be coming from the top of the engine. If I turn the engine brake off no noise. I guess the turbo is the engine brake? Any ideas?
Turbo Brake. Turbo Vane actions use the engine compression to slow.
I would look for an exhaust leak, perhaps one of the bellows on one of the up pipes has cracked, or a problem with one of their gaskets leaking.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts