Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 2500HD Duramx with a ZF S6-650 manual transmission. It has 111,500 miles on it and the engine is completely stock. I've been reading up on engine brakes and using the turbo vanes to somehow to act like an engine brake. Any recommendations and is this even possible with this model truck with a manual transmission. For motor reference the VIN is 1GCHK29296E171158.

LHN...We ARE the Joneses
Interesting topic ?.

Unfortunately, you're the Unicorn in the room, with so few of the ZF6 combos made, even more so with your '2' LLZ. Not because it's flawed, there's just not that much info out there from Users.

The mod for waking up the Turbo Brake is based on Medium Duty logic left in the ECM used on the Light Duty. I don't think the Kodiak/Topkick ever came with a manual trans, so wondering too if it (TB) was ever in the ECM tuning, which would be somewhat different for the manual trans.

In using the TB with the Allison, 1st comes the grade braking from the TCM, and then a few seconds later, the TB kicks in on top of that. Increase the throttle just a tad and the TB drops out, then let off and it kicks back in.

It's not instantaneous like with a Jacob's Brake or a true exhaust brake with a butterfly valve just past the down pipe. More subtle.
It'd be interesting to know if it works on yours.

Try the mod and see?

I've often thought about how the feel is like with the ZF6, running grades and towing, vs the Allison.
Raised on a Manual, I had considered an Auto as a disposable trans for those who didn't have the coordination for clutch shifting, as I had so many fail over the years.

I had sworn them off, never again.

So I was very apprehensive going into my 1st Dmax/Allison from my old 6.5T 5-speed shaker, when they 1st came out.
That's now a thought in the very distant past, as I no longer walk with a limp,....my left leg as returned to the same size as the Right. :teehee

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting topic ?.

Unfortunately, you're the Unicorn in the room, with so few of the ZF6 combos made, even more so with your '2' LLZ. Not because it's flawed, there's just not that much info out there from Users.

The mod for waking up the Turbo Brake is based on Medium Duty logic left in the ECM used on the Light Duty. I don't think the Kodiak/Topkick ever came with a manual trans, so wondering too if it (TB) was ever in the ECM tuning, which would be somewhat different for the manual trans.

In using the TB with the Allison, 1st comes the grade braking from the TCM, and then a few seconds later, the TB kicks in on top of that. Increase the throttle just a tad and the TB drops out, then let off and it kicks back in.

It's not instantaneous like with a Jacob's Brake or a true exhaust brake with a butterfly valve just past the down pipe. More subtle.
It'd be interesting to know if it works on yours.

Try the mod and see?

I've often thought about how the feel is like with the ZF6, running grades and towing, vs the Allison.
Raised on a Manual, I had considered an Auto as a disposable trans for those who didn't have the coordination for clutch shifting, as I had so many fail over the years.

I had sworn them off, never again.

So I was very apprehensive going into my 1st Dmax/Allison from my old 6.5T 5-speed shaker, when they 1st came out.
That's now a thought in the very distant past, as I no longer walk with a limp,....my left leg as returned to the same size as the Right. :teehee
It does seem to be a unicorn of sorts. That's why I am asking the good people here for help. I'm kinda at a loss for information and also for finding any. I hope someone chimes in with a solution.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
I don't guess anyone can find or has anything on this. I'm at a loss also. Still researching though........

Registered
The mod is very simple to install, you could wire up the switch and see if it works with the manual transmission. My bet would be that it does. GM really has a thing for re-using whats not broken so i doubt they went and reinvented the wheel to bolt that transmission up to the duramax. I i further doubt they went out of there way to create a whole new tune firmware for that combo and instead just reused the auto firmware with some tweaks. It would cost money to remove things and test the functionality so i also doubt they went out of there way to remove the turbo brake logic since it would almost certainly mean more testing to make sure the firmware was still stable. Theres a lot of features on a lot of trucks that are simply turned off and can be enabled in various ways.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Good point J83. I'll have to do some looking to figure out what to wire to what but it's a start.

Registered
Good point J83. I'll have to do some looking to figure out what to wire to what but it's a start.
there is a guide in the how to section on doing this mod, if i remember right you just need a toggle switch, some wire, and a couple ECM pins (personally id rip them off a connector at a junk yard) plus basic tools.

Registered

Registered
Discussion Starter #10

Premium Member
Here is a write up I did about the TB on my first LMM. In it I reference one or two previous threads where I actually got the information and how to knowledge.

https://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/07-5-10-lmm-duramax-powertrain/926154-turbo-brake-lmm-works.html

In one of them there is a link or a pic of the pinout for the C2 connector to the ECM. That is where the pin is located, #53. #11 is for the light.

There is also another pin you can connect to a small incandescent light to let you know when the TB is working.

My advice DON"T Bother. When it works you Will Know, you wont' need a light to tell.

As far as the pins go, I got mine from the Local GM dealer's Parts Manager. He gave me two of them and I had our Avionics guy crimp them onto some wire. It is a standard Molex crimp but requires a special Molex tool.

They can be purchased online already crimped to a length of wire.

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
Here is a write up I did about the TB on my first LMM. In it I reference one or two previous threads where I actually got the information and how to knowledge.

https://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/07-5-10-lmm-duramax-powertrain/926154-turbo-brake-lmm-works.html

In one of them there is a link or a pic of the pinout for the C2 connector to the ECM. That is where the pin is located, #53. #11 is for the light.

There is also another pin you can connect to a small incandescent light to let you know when the TB is working.

My advice DON"T Bother. When it works you Will Know, you wont' need a light to tell.

As far as the pins go, I got mine from the Local GM dealer's Parts Manager. He gave me two of them and I had our Avionics guy crimp them onto some wire. It is a standard Molex crimp but requires a special Molex tool.

They can be purchased online already crimped to a length of wire.
Very good write-up but I have a manual 6 speed transmission and there-in lies my concerns. There is no tow/haul switch so would I have to wire up a switch to turn it on and off or what?...........I am lost.

LHN...We ARE the Joneses
I never understood the need for a switch with the mod.
Just jump the pins, make it all the time like the MD trucks are. Which is what the T/H switch does, returns it to it's all the time natural state it's built for.

With the tuning woke up (auto), the TB works all the time. It's just more noticeably aggressive with the T/H light on, with the TC lock up and higher RPMs vs mall cruise mode.

Do the pins, see if it kicks in.
I wanna know now that you've brought it up. USA;

With the Auto, the grade braking kicks in 1st, followed by the TB a few seconds later.
Manual - you've got the grade braking covered.
It's not instantaneous on our Autos, so you may or may not have to wait a bit for it when you pull up off the throttle.

Exciting! :howdy

Premium Member
I never understood the need for a switch with the mod.
Just jump the pins, make it all the time like the MD trucks are. Which is what the T/H switch does, returns it to it's all the time natural state it's built for.

With the tuning woke up (auto), the TB works all the time. It's just more noticeably aggressive with the T/H light on, with the TC lock up and higher RPMs vs mall cruise mode.

Do the pins, see if it kicks in.
I wanna know now that you've brought it up. USA;

With the Auto, the grade braking kicks in 1st, followed by the TB a few seconds later.
Manual - you've got the grade braking covered.
It's not instantaneous on our Autos, so you may or may not have to wait a bit for it when you pull up off the throttle.

Exciting! :howdy
for me the need for the switch is to turn it off when not towing heavy. When it kicks in and you are light it is very aggressive. When I first did that mod I had no switch, I just grounded the wire to see if it worked, MAN did it work,

It is not necessary to activate TH to have it function either, TH or not, when the switch is on, the TB is on, period.

I cannot say what a manual xmsn would do but it seems to me that it would be akin to the MD trucks, no TH needed because it is literally in TH constantly.

Im betting the logic is in the ECM for all the aforementioned reasons in this thread, but the only way to find out is to ground Pin #53 in the C2 connector and see what it does. >:)

Registered
Discussion Starter #15
Well..... I've been looking at the C2 connector and the instructions written up and I believe it's more than I want to bite off. It seems easy enough but the way my luck runs I know I'd screw something up and bee into it for a lot of money to fix my errors. Would I also need any kind of tune with it after it was wired up correctly? I wonder if there is an EFI tune or something similar that would do this without having to do the wiring to the C2 connector? I'm just not sure of my abilities on this one.

Registered
Discussion Starter #16
What is this Edge CTS I'm reading about. Anything with it to help with this?

LHN...We ARE the Joneses
No. It's a monitor of the state of things.

Registered
Pretty much everyone that has EFI tuning also has the turbo brake function.
Most have multiple tunes on a switch with one having the TB function.

My tune in my signature is the only tune I have, it has the turbo brake function, I use it 24/7 365 leap year 366. :wink2:
It functions with RPM鈥檚 when the rpms drop below about 1800 the TB function kicks off.

Start contacting some of the EFI tuners, starting with Ridge Runner diesel, Danville Performance and Motor Ops.
If your not deleting any emissions stuff then Duramax Tuner.

In your case probably a switch would be necessary, but 'dunno;
Your questions need to be asked and answered by a actual EFILive tuner.

Edge Insight CS2 or CTS2 is only a monitor/gauge nothing else, like what鈥檚 already been mentioned.
The only way to add the TB is thru wiring with a switch like you鈥檝e already checked out or EFILive tuning.
https://edgeproducts.com/shop/insight-cts2
It鈥檚 possible you might be able to switch between tunes with a CS2/CTS2 this I don鈥檛 know for sure, depending on the year Duramax, this you鈥檒l also have to asked a EFI TUNER.

Registered
Discussion Starter #19
I'll check with those guys you mentioned first of the week about EFI tuning. A switch really doesn't bother me, I'm just not comfortable messing with the ecm connector and the like. I don't plan on doing any deleting so maybe Duramax tuner will work. Thanks for all the feedback and if anyone thinks of something to add please do. I'll keep you posted on my progress...if there is any. Thanks again.

Registered
I wasn鈥檛 to thrilled wiring a DSP2 or DSP5, so I elected to just go with single load one at a time tunes, pretty much the same thing you鈥檇 have to do.
I was in a walker at that time, at least one maybe 2 guys fried their ecm trying to wire for the switch, no shop in town would mess with the ecm.
I know many say it鈥檚 easy, but I鈥檇 just as soon not give鈥檈r a shot, and be labeled chicken.

Just call them and pick their brain.
Good Luck

1 - 20 of 79 Posts