Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking at purchasing a flex-a-lite fan or one similar for my 05 lly. I have seen them for dodges and fords,but the one for chevy's says not to use as primary cooling. I was hoping to gain the extra ponies by eliminating the oem fan and clutch. Has anyone on here tried one of these set-ups or one made by another company? Whenever I pull, it seems like my fan kicks on ALOT.

·
Registered
192 Posts
If you want your fan to stay off, don't get rid of the fan, get rid of the reason it is on. Low air flow.

The grill guard isn't helping, BTW.

A good article that helps to understand,

FAN

You will hurt your cooling system with those electric fans, they can't move much air, without it you will overheat towing.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just barely put the grill guard on . It was last summer that it kept coming on pulling my trailer. It has never overheated, I was only looking for MORE.. As always. I was told to look up www.coolmyduramax.com, and there is a fan replacement on there that they made to take care of overheating problems, but I think I'm going to just live with it for now.

·
Registered
192 Posts
...but you want to rid your fan noise and mpg reduction, correct?

adding another doesn't seem consistent with running without the annoyance, just adds something else to fail or stress the electrical system. I personally like my fan, now that I don't hear it. It is good to know it is there, doesn't drain my batteries, and always assists my AC at stops.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts