Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went up to Wilmington, NC to pick up a boat with my father and on the way back I was driving pulling it (its a 22' Hydrasport Vector) and within about 50 miles the truck cut the motor back and would not go over 65 then cut down again so I pulled over. I figured something got too hot and the computer was cutting it back but I just want to know what is getting to hot and makeing it do this. My first guess is the egt is getting too high but he doesnt have a gauge for that. Is there anything I can do to help this? Any type of programmer fix this problem?

·
Hi, I'm Earth. Have we met?
3,163 Posts
sounds like is throwing a p1093 code, this is caused by low fuel rail pressure usually caused by a pluged fuel filter, HOw many miles on the filter in the truck? how long after you got fuel did it happen?

THis code will limit the engine to a 2000 rpm limp home mode!

One other thing it could be is the trans limping due to it slipping, but 99 out of 100 times its a fuel prssure related problem!

Any type of chip or tuner on the truck?

Later
Caleb

·
Administrator
8,808 Posts
Also, take a look at the air filter and mass air flow sensor. If the air filter is plugged, it can cause weird things to happen....same goes for a dirty MAF sensor. I would start with the fuel filter first though. Also, do you have the 6-speed or Allison?? If you have the allison, you might need to change the external filter too.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok he is going to get the fuel filter changed soon, hes been talking about it for a while. There is no programmer on it but I am researching them trying to find a good one for him. I will go ahead and start with the fuel filter. Also I have another question....
Is changing the muffler worth the money or should he do a catback? I looked on extreme diesel performance and saw a muffler that seemed like it would work pretty good, i think it was the 3535 series.

Another question...Is the Diablo better than the Superchip programmer? Do yall recommend a better one? All he wants is something that will help towing but at the same time give better mileage for city driving. The Diablo seems like it does a good job at both.

Sorry for all the questions but again im new to all this and I want to get him the right stuff. Thanks guys for your help.

·
3,163 Posts
I've run just about every good tuner out there and i say Go with the diablo predator it offers the best bang for the buck as it will give some added boost and good power and you wont need gauges on the lower settings with the added boost! if you go with another tuner i recomend a boost stick from kennedy diesel to give you some added boost to keep egts down + it will up the hp a little more so usually running a boost stisk (BS) guys run 1 setting lower on the tuner to stay under the recomended 90 for the stock allison!!!!

AS for the exhaust if you want sound and the best performance you will have to remove the cat and that opens a whole new can of worms there, summit racing has good kits for little money or most of the d-max power guys are running a mprp front pipe and exhaust!!!!!

Later
Caleb

IF your looking for all out performance go with a ppe tuner or efi live,IMO!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks Caleb, I think I am gonna get him the Diablo tuner to start off with and then get the exhaust taken care of. I guess they make 02 sims for these trucks too? I've got some for my car when i got rid of my cats so where can I find some for the truck?

·
3,163 Posts
NO o2 sensor on the diesel, opening up the exhaust causes codes p0401 (egr flow) and p0299 (turbo underboost) to set from the redused back pressure because of the open exhaust! you can get a peice from kennedy diesel caled a finger stick that will keep these codes from setting after you install a finger stick u can also block off the egr with no ill effects!

nevermind that if you go with the predator from diablo it has a egr disable feature in it that will keep all these codes from setting, you still might want to block the egr just to keep the engine cleaner!!!!!! Once you disable the egr you can remove the cat and mufffler and block the egr without worrying about the check engine light coming on!!!!!!

Just when ever you order your diablo predator tuner make sure its version 2.02 so it has the added boost and egr disable features.

Good luck,
Caleb

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
dang, i had no idea about all that. guess ya learn something every day! Im glad you told me about the 2.02 version too.
I appreciate your help Caleb!

·
3,163 Posts
No problem, good luck :peelout , just shout if you need anything!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts