Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 2002 3500 Dually and a 2003 2500HD both with the LB7 engines. Both vehicles were recalled by GM because of a glow plug issue and both were repaired earlier this year.

Two days ago we were driving the 3500 to town (about 50 miles) one way and the truck started belching gray smoke anytime the accellerator was even lightly pushed. The engine also started to rattle/knock and vibrate very loud going up even the slightest grade. By the time we got to town the truck was smoking terribly and vibrating and shimmying heavily when idling at the stop lights. The smoke was so bad motorists would avoid us and people would look and point when we would pass. Power also greatly reduced until It would have to be floored to go up the slightest grade. Then it started dying at stop lights. After four restarts I noted that the oil pressure had dropped to zero so I limped it to a safe stop and parked it.

The oil level was fine. I regularly change the fuel filters and run injector (Stanadyne). It was towed to the dealership and today I got a call and was told that the bad news is that there was a misfire on one of the cylinders and that extensive damage was done to the engine due to a broken glow plug that fell into one of the cylinders and that the engine may have to be replaced depending on the extent of the damage which is not 100% ascertained yet. The good news is that it would be under warranty because of the glow plug issues. So I'm not sure yet but it sounds like GM may pay to replace the engine.

Has anyone had this issue happen to them and, if so, what was the outcome?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As far as I know there is no termination date for the defective glow plug replacement campaign. Our warranty had already expired and GM paid for the replacement. Call GM directly or your dealership service department and they'll let you know.

·
Registered
781 Posts
That’s great if GM will replace it-but if not people here and do it much cheaper than the dealer

·
Premium Member
3,495 Posts
Is that recall for LB7 only, or is LLY affected also?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Adeso, Thank's for the tip. I'll let everyone know what GM does as far as the engine replacement or repair. Hopefully they will install a brand new engine :)

·
I Sell Fireworks!
361 Posts
IIRC, if your LB7 is a California Emmissions model (has CAT and EGR), you can get the glow plugs replaced for free by GM under Special Coverage 07057 if your truck has under 200,000 miles or less than 10 years old.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts