Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite ROTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so I have noticed on every diesel I have crawled under (including my own) that the parts at the bottom of the block are caked with oil/grease/tar. I have never seen this on gassers. what's up with this?

·
saw what you did there
14,297 Posts
There is no correlation between diesels to be any dirtier underneath than a gas powered truck.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Clean YO $hit! ive never seen anything under mine gasser or diesel? You might wanna look into that a little more cause I think you have some leakage on ALL your trucks! :stir

·
Registered
404 Posts
I notice that on a LOT of the big rigs around here. They are just caked with oil/grease.
A lot of times when we pull the truck out of the shop there is oil spots on the floor from a leak. Sometimes it gets to the point where the first drive axle is just as caked with motor oil as the bottom of the engine is.
I guess people just don't maintain their stuff. My truck is spotless underneath..

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I pulled the engine about 35,000 miles ago and thoroughly cleaned it (along with doing the work on it I wanted to), and it has not collected any since. I was reminded of this when I crawled under a 6.2 today and it was a lil dingy. I'm thinkin maybe gaskets cause when i pulled my engine i replaced them. that would explain the slow buildup and why it has stopped on mine. Just wanted to see if someone had a for sure answer.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Well it would most likely be gaskets. For example, we had a f250 in the shop with a 351w and it looked like crap from the leaking valve cover gaskets. We washed everything, then replaced the gaskets. Still spotless under the hood.

Some guys change their oil, and on these duramaxs for example, if you don't remove the skid plate it catches some of the oil and can splash all over the underside once you start driving.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
that's some sticky oatmeal.... reminds me of the wallpaper-paste mother used to serve for breakfast.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts