Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 06 duramax. I bought the vehicle 2 weeks ago. Yesterday leaving work, my pickup barley wanted to leave the parking lot. When you get on the throttle(normally driving acceleration), it is extremely sluggish and puts out a white smoke. If you continue to give it more throttle the smoke turns to black and puts out about as much smoke as a pulling truck does. (The truck is stock to the best of my knowledge.) The black smoke continues for a while and then the turbo finally lights and the smoke clears up and the pickup starts to gain speed.

I pulled the codes off of it today and found these:
p0101 MAF sensor performance
p0102 MAF sensor circuit low voltage
p0402 EGR flow excessive
p0299 turbo underboost

Since I had 2 MAF sensor codes, I borrowed a buddies sensor and put it on my pickup. I still had the same trouble. We put mine on his and his worked fine. So I don't think that it is the MAF sensor.

I tried to back it out of the parking spot today to show what it was doing yesterday Any throttle makes the engine run extremely rough and it actually killed the engine a couple of times with it still in park.

Does anyone have any recommendations for me to try?

Many thanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven't changed the fuel filter. I only bought the pickup a couple of weeks ago. Would a fuel filter be this sudden of a problem? When I drove it to work, there was not any problems with the engine at all. The next time it was touched the pickup all of these codes appeared and it wouldn't run.

·
Registered
619 Posts
It sounds like the truck is getting enough fuel though considering the smoke...the smoke would be a result of the fuel not getting enough air. Take a look at the boots that connect the turbo to the intercooler and intercooler to intake.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Look for any possible leak usually there will be an oily residue and soot. Hopefully your vanes aren't stuck on your turbo.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Had something similar to this on my 06, I drove the truck and noticed heavy black smoke and was very sluggish. Turns out the EGR valve had been stuck wide open. I saw your code for excessive flow. Dont know if this will help but good luck and think of deleting or blocking off your EGR.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the tips. The pickup is stuck at work right now. I will check all of this tomorrow when I go in. I have had the EGR code since I got it. The code comes and goes depending if I get on the throttle hard. If it is the vanes, does that mean a new turbo? Or can it be cleaned?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, So I did some trouble shooting today. I think it may be electrically related to the MAF sensor but its not the sensor itself. I used a multimeter to check the pinout of the mating connector of the sensor. Here is what I found.

All wires between the ECM and the connector have .28 ohms of resistance so I don't have any breaks in the wires.

Test with key on (not running), connector unpluged
Between ground and pin:
Pink (sensor power)---12V
Black (5V ref)---.02v
Grey (5V ref)---.02v
Yellow (MAF signal)---.02v
Tan (Intake Air Temp signal)---4.9V

While doing some reading, I learned that the MAF signal is supposed to have 4.9V just like the IAT signal.

Also, when running the MAF signal is supposed to be between .5v and 4.5 volt. I am reading .05-.2V.

Any ideas with this new info?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Had something similar to this on my 06, I drove the truck and noticed heavy black smoke and was very sluggish. Turns out the EGR valve had been stuck wide open. I saw your code for excessive flow. Dont know if this will help but good luck and think of deleting or blocking off your EGR.
I must have mis-read some of the other things I was reading. Turns out the multimeter readings are correct. I'm going to inspect my EGR valve. Hopefully that will be it. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Your welcome let us know what happens

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I did some more inspecting Wednesday. Took the EGR valve actuator off, started the pickup and it ran just fine. Too bad there are codes that are thrown when you unhook the actuator an remove it. There is a little bit of white smoke but nothing like it was. I'm hoping that will clear up after a few miles. I am taking the valve out to clean it now.

·
Registered
117 Posts
You have an aftermarket air intake? Friend of mine with an 05 swapped out his stock air intake for aftermarket, installed fingerstick and blocker plate and actually lost power. Turbo wasnt spooling properly, throwing codes for EGR and MAF. HE checked the wiring for the fingerstick several times, bought another fingerstick, replaced the MAF and still had the same problem. Finally i told him to put it back to stock one item at a time and see what happens. He did the air intake 1st and all the sudden it ran better with more power. Turned out after looking things over the MAF sensor was in backwards when mounted in the aftermarket air intake. This was the only problem we found as foolish as it sounds.

My LBZ did the same thing as yours once after i paid a shop to replace the lower radiator hose. Turned out i blew off the intercooler hose on the passenger side. But, mine did it over the course of about 20 miles when i was towing. Ran great when i went to the job empty, but under load coming home it began whistling and losing power, smoking like an old steam locomotive. I barely made it home with it and was to the point that the engine seemed to be trying to hydroloc from over fueling, it was knocking unbelievably.

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
Moved to LBZ

1 - 13 of 13 Posts