Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just picked up my new 2019 Chevy 3500. I bought it with 485 miles then drove it home now a total of 784 miles. My engine oil life display reads 13% remaining. I’ve read through my owners manual thinking there might be a engine break in period oil change (like on a motorcycle) but don’t see one. Any ideas? Your advice is GREATLY APPRECIATED!

·
Registered
891 Posts
It it a calculated value based on miles, regens, and time, rpms etc. Remember even Amsoil says 25,000 miles or yearly whichever comes first.

·
Registered
995 Posts
I would not waste my money on an inferior motor oil like Amsoi to start with and there is an initial break-in and early ATF filter only change at 7500 miles for the Allison transmission. I would bet that the prep guy at the dealer did not do the reset properly. Good idea to verify the amount of oil and ATF fluid and brake fluid in the truck as it is not at all unusual for this to be done improperly.

Trucks from 2017 and later are designed to use the new API FA-4 lower viscosity motor oils. Important to be consistent with what is used. Miles driven are largely worthless as an indicator of when to change the motor oil. One truck is driven around town with trips averaging less than 30 minutes and under 30 miles is going to have a lot more hard use with the cold engine than another truck driven on the highway at over 50 MPH and with trips of an hour or more or a third truck that is used to tow a heavy trailer most of the time. Type of service, trip length, weather, and actual hours of operation are what put a toll on motor oil. I favor using the engine hours of operation over miles driven to indicate when to change the oil.

·
Registered
774 Posts
As said above the engine oil life is based off of numerous factors that can basically be irrelevant if you change your oil like youre supposed too. Basically just there as a reminder for people who dont keep up with maintenance. I change mine every 5k miles or year whichever comes first. Some people will say thats a waste and you can go longer. I dont disagree but an oil change is cheap insurance on these trucks IMO. Personally I would change the oil or have your dealer change it if its free and reset the life and change at appropriate intervals after that. Personally wouldnt go over 10k miles tho

·
Registered
5,865 Posts
I'd reset it and carry one.

Then maybe change it when it gets down to 20 or 25%.

Duramax supplement is your friend as far as oil type/grade and viscosity.

Dmax 6.6 isn't hard on ooil.

·
Registered
299 Posts
My 2017 had been sitting on the dealer's lot for 6 months and driven 385 miles when i bought it. Had been traded twice between dealers and oil life was at 65% so i made them change the oil and reset it to 100%.

Lesson learned is that even an unused truck sitting in your driveway will show the oil life dropping just from age.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi all. I have been having experience with this oil life display and all. Basically, picked up a truck Sept 2018, truck is 2018 Dmax. Went for first service was free at 7500 miles, dealer did oil and all that, rested oil life and everything was calculating as appropriate. At about 14,700 miles, I went in for 2nd free service. They did same thing, however, truck now has 15,600 and oil life at 82%. Sounds little strange to me that it would drop that much and that fast. I am however, considering doing my own oil changes every 5k miles, just a piece of mind and based on what others are doing/recommending. Also, another thing I noticed with my truck is, every time I start it, the oil light comes one for like a second and disappears, kind of strange, never seen that before on any of my previous trucks, however, they were gas vs diesel. So, can anyone shed some light in terms of this oil life icon popping up for like second or 2 and goes away? Thanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts