Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm pretty new to diesels having bought my first with this 2015 GMC D/A.
I changed the oil in it when I bought it because it was black at 11,700 miles on it. I used Amsoil Full Synthetic 15W-40 Diesel oil.
Now, after 3,000 miles its black again, and nearly a quart is gone.

Two questions:

- Is this a normal consumption rate, do diesels consume more oil than gas engines?
- Do diesels contaminate their oil more than gas engines or do I have an exhaust leak somehow getting into the oil?

Premium Member
Yes you can the black oil to the wonderful application of EGR. The black color is common. What is not common, is a qt low at 3k. Are you sure you drained completely and filled with 10qts of oil during your change?

Reactions: 407driver

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea, sure did. i also installed a top of the line Royal Purple oil filter for maximum filtration.

The engine is still bone stock for now.

Premium Member
The black color is normal, the quart low isn't. In the 10 years I've owned my 2004 LLY I've never had to add any oil between changes. I've only ever used Rotella dino, last change I switched to Delo but have never had to add any oil after 5000 miles. I tow heavy a lot, so truck works pretty hard.

Registered
I changed the oil in it when I bought it because it was black at 11,700 miles on it. I used Amsoil Full Synthetic 15W-40 Diesel oil.

Two questions:

- Is this a normal consumption rate, do diesels consume more oil than gas engines?
- Do diesels contaminate their oil more than gas engines or do I have an exhaust leak somehow getting into the oil?
How long are you letting it sit before checking the level?

Overnight?

Reactions: TeamOGF

Registered

Two questions:

a quart every 3K is a little high for that age truck but also not outside what could be considered normal. I do not see a noticable change in oil level between changes on my 15. Yes, the oil will be jet black minutes after you add it to the engine, that is normal.

Registered
Mine will use a quart in 10K just driving but towing it will use over 2 quarts in the same mileage.

Registered
a quart every 3K is a little high for that age truck but also not outside what could be considered normal. I do not see a noticable change in oil level between changes on my 15. Yes, the oil will be jet black minutes after you add it to the engine, that is normal.
The only ones that would consider that "not outside normal" would be GM. I have owned or used for work 7 Dmax's over the last 12 years & not one of them has consumed any oil between oil changes

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys, I appreciate your help.
I guess going forward I'll top off with most of a quart of Amsoil and closely watch the consumption.

The truck sits on concrete so I know there's no dripping.
So far its had primarily city/suburban mileage with limited highway use due to our elderly parents health postponing our truck camping that we intend to do.
I imagine this kind of start/stop driving might consume more oil than open road.

Premium Member
I guess going forward I'll top off with most of a quart of Amsoil and closely watch the consumption.

So far its had primarily city/suburban mileage with limited highway use due to our elderly parents health postponing our truck camping that we intend to do.
I imagine this kind of start/stop driving might consume more oil than open road.
Im sure all who posted here will be Very interested in your reporting back what happens in the next 3000 miles to your oil level.

As for me, Ive only had 2 Dmax's, both 08 LMMs, neither consumed or lost any oil between oil changes.

Since you are new to diesels you may find this thread interesting and educational:

https://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/maintenance/988217-maintenance-info-suggestions-new-owners.html

Reactions: TeamOGF and 1TRIKHD

Registered

Is the truck getting up to temp while its making those short drives? Diesels are not really good for short trips and frequent start stops.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks 407. I'm going to read it now.

Good point J83. Yes, they're long enough to fully heat up the engine.

I will report back after I get some results.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts