Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

· Registered
14,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just checked the oil in my truck and i changed it to amsoil synth. its been 11000 miles since i changed it and i just looked to see how it was and the oil level is barely reading on the dipstick.. wtf guys. should my truck be burning this much oil? and would it be bad to put mobil 1 in with the amsoil to get the oil level up until i can get an order of amsoil placed?

· Premium Member
3,350 Posts
i just checked the oil in my truck and i changed it to amsoil synth. its been 11000 miles since i changed it and i just looked to see how it was and the oil level is barely reading on the dipstick.. wtf guys. should my truck be burning this much oil? and would it be bad to put mobil 1 in with the amsoil to get the oil level up until i can get an order of amsoil placed?
No it won't hurt to top off at all with M1 oil. I don't burn that much at all so I am not sure what other factors could be contributing. Are you driving it hard at all?

· Registered
362 Posts
11,000 miles or 1,100 miles? At 11,000 miles I would have changed it at least once, probably checked it a few times too.:)

· Registered
7,071 Posts
As Dane said, it is fine to top it off with Mobile. As for burning oil, GM states that burning up to 1.5 quarts every 5K is normal. I cannot speak to why some do and why some don't, my 03 has never burned a drop of oil, but I have also seen and heard of others that had burning like yours.

It does pay to check the level at least every other fuel fill up or so to make sure that you do not wind up with a level that is too low, just in case your truck does have an issue, it will not leave you scrambling all at once.

As for changing it, with Amsoil there should be no reason to change it in that time frame unless there are extenuating circumstances. Amsoil warranties their oil for 3X OEM, except in post 07.5 DPF equipped trucks.

· Registered
7,071 Posts
OH, BTW, blackdeath brings up another point. When you begin to modify these trucks for more power, you can often see more oil burning as well as other things like fuel dilution as well. So, if you have a heavily modified rig, it is a good idea to not only check it often, but also perform used oil analysis occasionally to make sure that your modifications have not begun to cause issues that were not present before the modifications.

· Registered
14,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
why spend the extra money for amsoil when everyone keeps saying to change it that often.. i would rather just run mobil one synth or something if i have to change it that often. 150 for a oil change every month would be crazy

· Registered
308 Posts
why spend the extra money for amsoil when everyone keeps saying to change it that often.. i would rather just run mobil one synth or something if i have to change it that often. 150 for a oil change every month would be crazy

Thats what my dad says to me all the time because he said "whats the use of putting some high dollar oil in your truck when your motor will blow up in the next 100,000 miles" and i said you got a good point there.

· Registered
226 Posts
i just run the diesel motor oil that we get in at work i think its called heartland or something like that and a bottle of lucus. i cange it every 5thousand and it dont burn any at all and theres 241000 miles on it. id put more miles on the oil but its free so what the hell lol

· Registered
226 Posts
damn i thought changing mine every 5000 was early enough but i guess not lol

· Registered
226 Posts
i have to agree that would get pretty expensive to have to do but hey if u got the money why not

· Registered
226 Posts
yea def have to agree with u on that :drink i have just enough money to keep the payments up on my truck and working on my race car and a few other things but not to much more..

· Registered
226 Posts
yea dont blame u. imo oil is oil

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.