Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

61 - 72 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I let mine get to around 85-100 on my CTS. I don't worry about keeping it under 2000 RPM but I let my trans warm up to regular driving temp before I get on it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
my wife drives my truck 95% of the time (im ussually in my co. truck) ive preached and preached to her to crank it before shes ready to go and let it idle for at least 10 minutes. what does she do though....... fires it up sit there staring out the windshield for a 1 mississipi 2 mississipi 3.....30 mississipi puts it in gear and takes off. i guess 30 seconds feels like 10 minutes to her. lol. i need a remote start but even then i doubt shed use it.

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
30 seconds is more than ample idle time. 10 minutes is ridiculous.

·
Registered
154 Posts
You're from Texas. Where the temperature hardly sees freezing. Its fine to idle 30 seconds and go. When it gets to -20 and colder some touch screen systems in trucks have to "warm up" to operate properly, never mind the engine. If you were to start driving after 30 seconds you are asking to destroy your head gaskets, among just being hard on the entire engine and drivetrain. I would rather spend the 10-20 minutes of idling and the few bucks for fuel than $3000 for new head gaskets and horrible wear and tear on the truck.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #66 (Edited)
lol don't worry Topgrade. Look at post #19 or post #27 and see if it makes any sense with post #64

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
lol don't worry Topgrade. Look at post #19 or post #27 and see if makes any sense with post #64

Lol! Detective kautz!

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
Maybe not necessary to idle 10 minutes, but I can tell you up here in NY I start my truck and go back inside till it warms up a tad (~10 min~). It's too damn cold to be in the truck while it warms up even for those few extra minutes.

Must be nice living in a warm state!

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I high idle in winter for a few about 10 minutes usually. If I don't have time I'll high idle for 2 minutes and then drive with a real light foot until oil pressure starts to come down and temp gauge is moving.

·
Registered
5 Posts
30 seconds is ridiculous. In 10 minutes my heater is barely luke warm.
I dont know about small horsepower like ours but the big stuff i work on requires 135 F ect and 140F oil temp b4 the plc permits engine loading

·
Registered
16,263 Posts

·
Goin broke in style.
656 Posts
I usually just stand over it with a hair dryer to warm up the motor and light a candle under the trans pan so itll be a little warm too :poke[1]: ...But seriously tho, i do something different every day. Usually let it idle till the oil psi drops or until the high idle kicks off then im easy on it till it reaches operating temp. :thumb

61 - 72 of 72 Posts